Skimmer Question

rdnelson

Market
Reaction score
Started running a used Tunze 9006 skimmer about a month ago. I have a 45 gal tank with about 12 gal in the sump. 30 lbs of live rock, 25 lbs of sand. I run carbon in media bags in the bubble trap. I have one Kole, one Blue/Green Chromis, one 6 Line, one fire shrimp and a pair of clowns.

Because the skimmer was used, it started generating foam almost immediately. After a bout 2 weeks if pretty much stopped. I collect a small amount of dirty water over about a weeks time. If I lift the collection cup I can see foam down inside but it doesn't seem to make it up to the collection cup. I have adjusted the air intake valve with no change.

Could it be that I just have very little bioload and therefore there isn't much to skim? I test before doing a 10% WC every weekend and my nitrates are always 0. Yes I know you won't belive they are 0 and I am using API but I feel they must be very close to 0 if it always reads the same. Up until about a week ago I only fed pellets. I have now started alternating some frozen but still only feed every other day.

Would love input from all of you since this is the first time I have ever used a skimmer.

I have a 9002 on my Solana. Have you disassembled and cleaned the air line and pump, usually my go to when I dont think my skimmer is running properly.

It also sounds like you could adjust the skimmer down a little in your sump to raise the waterlevel and remove any foam column that is building

If you cant figure it out, you could try a mesh mod with your impeller to increase amount of micro bubbles

Thanks. This past weekend I took it apart and made sure the impeller was running. Visually inspected the air line but maybe I should take it out and double check or replace it. The skimmer sits on the floor of the sump and the water line is maybe an inch and a have below the high water mark. What is the mesh mod? Do you have a link to some instruction on that?

Again, thanks for the ideas. :)

I would check out that airline, I just rinse mine in hot water, they are known to clog with salt creep (all skimmers, not just tunze)

google diy mesh mod, there are a bunch of instructional videos and threads.

Is there anyway you can raise the level in that chamber of your sump to get it to the max water line?

Simple answer is yes I could raise the water line but the not so simple answer would be that I would have to raise my bubble trap baffles which wouldn't be the easiest thing to do. I might be able to come up with something if cleaning the air line doesn't do the trick.

kinda extreme... but instead of raising the water level you could cut the body of the skimmer down by a few inches, if you deem that is the problem. Any luck with the air line?

I'm not familiar with Tunze skimmers, but is it possible to adjust the amount of water exiting the skimmer? If you restrict the exit flow, it will raise the water level.

If a mod is necessary, it may be as simple as putting a valve on the exit pipe or stuffing some sort of filter pad in the exit hole. I've seen the filter pad mod used several times on seaclone skimmers to achieve the same thing.

I dont know of a way to restrict the flow, just the venturi intake. Thats why I thought moving it up and down is the best option. Although I can only speak for the 9002 so Rich might have a little bit different design.

Haven't had a chance to mess with it today. I am out delivering salt right now. LOL. This model is a self contained brick with pump internal but easily removable. I would bet it is the air line. If not I will try the mesh mod.

Will the mesh mod create more bubbles or smaller bubbles? I ask because more air volume entering the skimmer (through a venturi) will only decrease the water level and add to the problem.

Took it apart yesterday for an inspection and cleaning. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary and water flowed through everything just fine. But, when I put it back together and put it back in the sump it started producing foam. Not a ton but I will watch it for a few days. May need to tune it a bit.

on a saltwater safe plastic container (with holes drilled in it - plastic container). That's what I did with my CL65 and it worked great. I also use to have to remove the CA or salt crystal build-up where the air line met the pump. I did that every time I noticed the bubbles becoming more coarse.

cbj25;727361 wrote: kinda extreme... but instead of raising the water level you could cut the body of the skimmer down by a few inches, if you deem that is the problem. Any luck with the air line?

Also consider stacking acrylic underneath it to raise it, or making and eggcrate platform so to speak, so that the skimmer is reaching the desired water level.

Tony beat me to it.

If I put something under it, it will have the effect of lowering the water level not raising it. :) right now, the actual water level is about 1-1/2 below the "High Water" mark. But per the documentation, that should be fine. It has a wide range on the acceptable water levels.

That will probably never happen again!
sts04c;729178 wrote: Also consider stacking acrylic underneath it to raise it, or making and eggcrate platform so to speak, so that the skimmer is reaching the desired water level.

Tony beat me to it.

^^hahaha lol.

Rich,

Ok, I misunderstood, thought you needed the water higher up on the skimmer.

sts04c;729195 wrote: ^^hahaha lol.

Rich,

Ok, I misunderstood, thought you needed the water higher up on the skimmer.

I would like the water higher up but putting something under the skimmer would have the opposite effect. Here is a picture of it as of a minute ago. The wavy blue line is the max water level.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
729200=34701-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327351472.292976.jpg
>
729200=34701-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327351472.292976.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327351472.292976.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back