Skimmer Question~?

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
Can you over recirc a skimmer?

I have a MRC with dual becketts powered right now with a MAG12. Changing it out with a Iwaki30 tonight. I have a Sedra5000 laying around that I thought I could plumb into the skimmer to create more of a froath mix. Would this be creating too much recirc? Does it descrease:sad: efficiency or increase:yes: ? Thanks for the input!

At some point there is a tradeoff with so much air and circulation in the chamber the turbulance is counterproductive so yes it is possible to over do it. The problem is it's very hard to know when it will occur withut trying it!

Are you asking about a recirc skimmer or a regular skimmer?

If you're asking about a feed pump, then you want a small pump to provide a slow feed.

If you're asking about a pump to push the becketts, the mag 12 isn't going to sufficiently push 2 becketts. You'd get much better production out of a pan world 200 or other pressure rated pump. If you don't have a pressure rated pump, you can overcome that by pushing them with a high flow pump. Submersible pumps just really don't cut it when it comes to becketts.

Agree...that's why I am switching to a pressure rated pump. I was thinking about just adding a external Sedra5000 to recirc it even more. The MRC is amazing already but there's always room for improvement, esp when I have a good recirc pump laying around!

Skriz;223778 wrote: Are you asking about a recirc skimmer or a regular skimmer?

If you're asking about a feed pump, then you want a small pump to provide a slow feed.

If you're asking about a pump to push the becketts, the mag 12 isn't going to sufficiently push 2 becketts. You'd get much better production out of a pan world 200 or other pressure rated pump. If you don't have a pressure rated pump, you can overcome that by pushing them with a high flow pump. Submersible pumps just really don't cut it when it comes to becketts.

dawgdude;223841 wrote: Mark, Instead of that, why not recirc the becketts and add a feed pump? Thats what I am thinking about doing. Also, could you add a bubble plate to it?

I already did that and getting great results. I just thought that since i have this Sedra lying around I could increase efficiency even more.:yay:

I think you're asking for trouble to recirc that skimmer - just not enough benefit to be worth it, IMO.

On the other hand, a much more powerful pump to drive the becketts would do wonders. I had fantastic success with the PCX-55 on that setup. I'd recommend trying that before cutting into the box...

Back