Skimmer recommendation

wolfie

Market
Reaction score
I am thinking of building a new sump for my 75GL.. New sump will be a 30GL.
I think it is 30.5"L 12"w and 23"tall. I could be wrong on this, but it is a 30GL tank.

I plan on add in a new skimmer and could use some advice on which skimmer would be great for it. Anyhow please no MRC or eurareef.

thanks

What is your budget? How much space in the sump for the skimmer?

you have to bring up the budget thing :p.. I am thinking around $250 and I do not think space would be a problem since I have to build it from the 30gl tank

Bang for the buck the Octopus NW150 would work well in your system. I am using one in my 120 temporarily and have been very happy with the performance. It is a bit undersized for my system, but would be perfect for yours. Runs around $170. You can also move up to the NW200 if you want some more power. An alternate skimmer that design wise would be awesome is the DA Needlewheel

http://www.protein-skimmer.com/shopping.asp?id=446996&itemid=6663&ct=1&shopperid=42223&merchantid=446996&shop=itemdetail.asp">http://www.protein-skimmer.com/shopping.asp?id=446996&itemid=6663&ct=1&shopperid=42223&merchantid=446996&shop=itemdetail.asp</a>

It is a Deltec clone with an Aquabee pump. Don't know anyone who has ever used it, but the Deltec version that it is copied from (including the exact pump) is a great skimming machine. Mike uses a Deltec this was copied from on a much larger tank with great results.

I loved my aqua medic turboflotor multi 1000. It worked well and didn't take much tuning. It really depends on the amount of sump space you have or the height clearance.

The TurboFlotor is a good skimmer especially if you get one used, but I think from my experience owning and running both that the NW150 is better bang for the buck new anyway.

I been thinking about an Octopus but I am have a hard time picturing how I am going to have it insump with it footprint

I have a 29 gallon sump and it fits with tons of room to spare. I don't think it is much bigger than the Turboflotor as they use virtually the same pump and the body is about the same size. The Octopus is about an 1" or so more.

Here is my skimmer document.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

There are a number of good skimmers out there. The DA that Cameron mentioned looks very promising and then there are the Octopus/Coralvue and EuroAqua skimmers. They also make external, recirculating skimmers like the DA (they can also be run in sump, if you want). The AquaMedic Turboflotors are also very good. They don't get the "pub" that some skimmers get but they are very reliable. I like their Multi because you can hang it on a sump which can save you some room.

When anyone ask what kind of skimmer to use for less than 90G that is priced to sell to a sane person; the answer is always Terminator II.

Back