Skimmer Recommendations

darren24

Market
Reaction score
I hate that I missed the last meeting. For those of you in the know what is the preferred skimmer these days? I run a 58G display with about 16G in the sump. I currently have a Coralife SS 65. Mostly LPS and softies with 3 fish.

Thanks

I used and love the EuroReef skimmers. I went to some hardware store in some far away place to get a nice PVC gatevalve, and I recommend doing that!

I've heard ASM and TUNZE also make great skimmers.

hth,

Matt

Hey thanks Matt. I do hear of folks praising the ASM's. I will do some research on them.

:D
For Sale: ASM G2 with recirc and gate mods, $200
(I had it fit in a 10gal so I'm guessing it would fit in a 16)

Generally speaking, bang for buck is ASM or Octopus IMO. Euroreefs are good if you got the cash and Deltecs are even better. Another skimmer making a huge name for itself is ATI, but the jury is still out on the small unit that is for your size tank. Not that I am trying to help Tony out, but an ASM with gate vavle and recirc is a good skimmer. You may have to run a feed pump or change you plumbing around to use it however.

How much space to you have in your sump and what is your budget?

I made a new skimmer purchase based largely on the information from the last meeting. Thanks again Cam. It's my understanding that ASM and Octopus are clones of Euroreefs, which are proven to be very effective skimmers. Furthermore, Octopus is a lil sturdier than the ASM due to the use of thicker cast acrylic vs extruded. The Octopus skimmers were also less costly. As such, I went with the Octopus RPS-1000 which is the largest recirculator I could fit in my sump since I have a lot of other crap in there. Its working like a champ, the only negative is that its a lot louder than I had hoped.

I have a Euro-reef and love it. I would highly reccomend the needlewheel skimmers

Back