Skimmer stand thoughts?

wade

Supporting
Reaction score
I am upgrading from a small sump tank to a large rubbermade. That gives me lots of flexibility to move things around, but it is also rather deep. I need to raise the skimmer up about 16-20".

What can I use as a stand to put the skimmer on top of to get the water level to the right height??

Eggcrate is too flimsy. PVC - may also be too flimsy, but doesn't provide a solid base to rest on.

Any other recommendations?

That is all I could really come up with myself... wondering if there is anything guaranteed to be more stable.

PVC pipe frame with an eggcrate/plastic sheet top

If you use two or three layers of egg crate it’ll be more stable then use a larger diameter pvc on all 4 corners and a center support piece.

Four Formufit 3-way elbows to make the top base whatever size you need and attach a piece of acrylic sheet to the top. Use PVC pipe cut to the length you need to set the height.

You can also add some sand inside the pvc pipes before gluing them to add weight for added stability

I've used eggcrate and it's been fine. If you must have something sturdier, I would just go acrylic. I can help you build something if yah want to go that route.

Zip tie or epoxy eggcrate to a pvc pipe frame and it should be about as sturdy as any skimmer platform you are likely to find.

If you want something sturdier than eggcrate, you could make a pvc base like mentioned and find a kitchen cutting board (Obviously not wood) that’s the right size for the top. They can be easily drilled and tywrapped to the pvc.

Back