Skimmer stopped foaming

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
Last weekend I cleaned my collection cup before heading out of town on business for the week. I also glued some frags down with waterweld at the same time. Well I came home to it still not producing any foam. I'm assuming its due to the waterweld but should it take a week for it to start acting normal again?

The skimmer is due for a cleaning but then it'll need another week or so to build back up.

No, max 48 hours for me and that was the most finicky skimmer I've had. A week after cleaning is ridiculously long as well. What skimmer are you running?

Epoxy should not kill the foam head. The reverse, epoxy usually will make a skimmer overfoam if you use enough of it.

Your skimmer may just be idling because your tank dissolved organics are low.

Acroholic;955259 wrote: Your skimmer may just be idling because your tank dissolved organics are low.

It's possible but over a week it usually pulls something out. The cup was bone dry when I got home on Friday.

acroholic;955259 wrote: epoxy should not kill the foam head. The reverse, epoxy usually will make a skimmer overfoam if you use enough of it.

Your skimmer may just be idling because your tank dissolved organics are low.

+1

Check the piece that attaches to the pump for the airline for any blockage.

Does your air tub have water in it? try blowing in it to clear the line. It might just need to be cleaned.
Chris

Only other place I've seen an issue with my Alpha Vertex 300 is the plastic nipple where the airline attaches to the volute. I have gotten crusty buildup in there, which restricts the air going in. After I cleaned that out, it worked as normal.

I can blow through the airline just fine. I'm gonna take it out and give it a good cleaning. See if that helps.

Pump blew. Take it apart and put in a bucket to see if it creates bubbles, airline above water.

I gave it a decent scrubbing and it seems to be producing more foam. The whole inside of the body was pretty caked with crud. I never really fiddled around with it much when I first got it, sat it at the water level people recommended and adjusted it so it wasn't overflowing. I think the water level was too low and crap wasn't going in the cup and reduced performance. We'll see.

If it was crudded up, check the needle wheel pins for buildup. That will kill air pull faster than anything. Get enough crud in the needle wheel and it is like a solid rotating mass and won't work well at all. I have a stiff bristle plastic brush, like what painters use for surface prep, and that does a great job combing through the pins an getting stuff out of them.

The buildup I mentioned in the air nipple on the volute of my RD 1500 pump would not dissolve with vinegar, so I actually had to take a metal type pick tool and chip it out.

Pins seemed good. Not sure what did it but its foaming up good now. I've been reading more and I might need to submerse it a bit more. Most run it at about 6" of water, my stand has it at about 5.5" now. I have to close the gate a bit to get it to foam up higher.

Back