Skimmer Suggestion

briandg

Market
Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading my skimmer. I currently have a 180 gal tank w/sump. My tank is set up as FOWLR because I've never had the lighting for corals. My LED's will be in tomorrow and am trying to upgrade my equipment to get my Nitrates to 0, they've always been around 20 mainly because of water changes. I am looking for a skimmer with a small footprint, primarily because of the height of my stand. After researching, I have come up with two options both involving a Tunze Skimmer. Now to my question :).

I can purchase a Tunze 9021 for around 590.00. The website also has the Tunze 9010 on closeout for 260.00. So for 520.00 I could purchase 2 of the 9010's and run both in the sump. The 9021 is rated for 554 gal tank and the 9010's are rated for 264 gal tanks.

I don't know if it's wise to run 2 skimmers in the sump or just purchase the more expensive larger one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think you can do much better than tunze for your skimming needs.

If your interested, What is the maximum measurements for your sump/stand?

My main issue height, I need to find a capable skimmer no taller than 18 or 19 inches, but big enough fo a 180 tank. I also plan on trying biopellets to help, but I understand that will be useless without a quality skimmer.

briandg;752851 wrote: My main issue height, I need to find a capable skimmer <span style="color: Red;">no taller than 18 or 19 inches</span>, but big enough fo a 180 tank. I also plan on trying biopellets to help, but I understand that will be useless without a quality skimmer.

Dang, I was thinking a Super Reef Octopus 3000int was perfect for you till I saw this. :sad:
The SRO is 24"

LOL, yeah, I looked at various Reef Octopus models and was really what I wanted for the price, unfortunately the only one's I've seen that would work are the Tunze. I hear they are good, just pricey, but I don't think I have a choice.

The Tunze is not a good option for a 180g tank.

Not and stay married :). I probably didn't buy the best setup (used) when I began, but live and learn. It is in a living room, no basement, no closet or anything available for a sump room, and everything needs to be hidden in the cabinet. In the future I might be able to upgrade stand and canopy, but it's not an option now. Finally with led lighting, I can get some lighting in the smaller canopy without the problem of MH heat, so I'm excited to add corals, but I know I need to upgrade my equipment to do so. I think I could go a little taller with my skimmer, I was saying 17 or 18 to allow to take the cup off, I have about 22" of clearance.

Back