skimmer suggestions

picoreefguy

Market
Reaction score
i need to pick a skimmer for my new build, so i want your help. here are the criteria.

1 must be very quiet (tank will be in bedroom) the quieter the better
2 must be a cone skimmer
3 must be rated at or above 150 gallons
4 must not be more than 24" tall
5 footprint cant be more than 11.5 x 11.5

the reason for these criteria is that im looking for a skimmer that will stack up against the bubble magus NAC9. my buddy has one and it works very well, is pretty quiet and itll fit into the space i have to work with. and a bonus is that its rated for tanks between 300-500 gallons so i would never have to worry about underskimming. if i cant find a skimmer that meets the criteria and beats the bubble magus than ill go with one of those.

Vertex or Bubble King.

Make sure the ratings actually mean something and aren't just a random number used for marketing.

Ringo®;965080 wrote: Budget?
im trying to stay under 500 but i dont mind spending a little more if its an awesome skimmer.

Bgcoop8784;965082 wrote: If you already know that's just about the perfect skimmer for your needs, why not just get it and be done? Every time do this I regret my purchase, if even the smallest thing goes wrong I'll blame it on the fact that I settled for something else.

thats the thing its close to perfect but i dont know if its quiet enough for use in a bedroom cause my buddy uses it in his pet store so theres lots of ambient noise. you cant hear it at all when the stand doors are closed but when theyre open theres a slight hum so i think that might translate to a slight hum with the doors closed in my room and kinda loud with them open.

Skriz;965086 wrote: Vertex or Bubble King.

Make sure the ratings actually mean something and aren't just a random number used for marketing.

any particular model Raj? ive heard of both and know they are great brands but never looked into either in the past cause i figured they were out of my price range.

Andrew32;965125 wrote: i just ordered one of these. they are super cheap and seem to have really good reviews.

http://www.scaquariums.com/protein-skimmers.html">http://www.scaquariums.com/protein-skimmers.html</a>[/QUOTE]

thats the same skimmer as the bubble magus nac 3.5 or 5.5 i think. and its a little smaller than i want. im trying to go as big as possible because theres no such thing as over skimming. and if i ever upgrade i dont have to do a whole lot of equipment buying.

believe it or not ,Eshopps makes one hell of a cone skimmer that pulls black coffee with a Italian pump.

New Octopus Regul DC 170, or the new XS225 Reef Oct, or a really nice Cad Light TIA 1220 I have for sale. They really are amazing how well they are built..

Skriz;965086 wrote: Vertex or Bubble King.

Agreed...I like Vertex and will be going with their 150 on my next build. Great reviews never heard anything bad about it but its price being too high. I have seen these in person on a friends tank and its quality...

any particular model Raj? ive heard of both and know they are great brands but never looked into either in the past cause i figured they were out of my price range.

I cant speak about the BK but I would suggest the Vertex omega 150 over the 130. Its only $70....

yea i like the 150 and it outperforms the swc 160 cone skimmer according to reefbuilders. i think ive made my choice but d day is still a little while away so im still open to any other suggestions.

You still looking at the nac series? I think I like the curve series more.

nickg;964078 wrote: Tia 1220 Skimmer is back up for sale. Skimmer is absolutely PERFECT. Only used a couple of months. The previous purchaser backed out. Was trying to hold out for him, but now its time to go... These Skimmers are built EXTREMELY well. They are built from thick, heavy acrylic... $275 OBRO and Open to trades...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard good things about the RLSS skimmer line. The R8-i is a nice performer. If it was in my budget I would have bought it.

Back