Skimmer test

roundman

Market
Reaction score
Is there a test that could be done to see how well your skimmer is really doing? I can see what is in the cup and how often to change but what or how?

The only real <u>scientific</u> test that you can do is an "air intake" test but I do not even pretend to know what you need for that. Maybe Cameron does!

You need one of those Dwyer lph airflow meters for the test.Why do you feel like your skimmer is not working?Are you not getting anything in the collection cup? What kind of Skimmer is it?

The website for Dwyer is
a>

Here is my concern. I have tanks listed below and have a prizim pro skimmer. I do get brown foam and brown tea in the cup and it appears to work ok.

NOW my wife likes fish and I have ended up with 11 fish in the tank. They are small but here is the list:
4 chromis
1 yellow tang
2 clowns
1 midas blenny
1 6 line wrasse
1 scooter blenny
and 1 very small hippo tang ( don't scream I know but I told her that when he gets larger he will have to go)

I am just concerned with this amount of bio it may not be a big enought skimmer. I do have access to hosp lab equipment and was thinking about running a total protein on the water and see what it is.

Its better than nothing :).

I think you will know if your skimmer is not up to the task. Just watch your nitrate, phosphate, and nuisance algae levels. If you cannot keep those levels under control with regular water changes then get a bigger badder skimmer. Otherwise stay pat.

I clean the cup every 2-3 days and probably get1/3 cup. If i turn up the water it will fill more but the foam is whiter. The water flow is about 75-80%

Rawn, go ahead and turn your Prizm up to the point you are emptying the cup once a day, that way you will know the skimmer is doing everything it can. I owned a Prizm until I sold it to Linda. I have a Aqua C Remora now, and can honestly tell you that they function about the same IMO, except the Aqua C Remora looks a little cooler, and about double the price. Stay away from a Seaclone, as that would be a lateral move for you.

Rawn, I've owned just about every HOB skimmer type they make, and can say that until you are ready for an "in sump" model, that you should just stick with what you got. They get more expensive but not that much better...

Rating a skimmer is the fuzziest thing I have come across in this hobby. Everyone at somepoint wondered if their skimmer is right for their tank. If the skimmer pulls gunk, you know it is working, the question is, is it adequate.... a good indicator is the nitrate in your tank, if you see it steadily increase overtime, inspite of your normal maintenance, then your skimmer probably need to be tuned or upgraded.
I like to skim wet cause it keeps the neck fairly clean, clean neck mean good performance. Start with wet skimming, and if you start seeing foam break breakdown too often then move a little more towards dry...... This way you are chasing the skimmer on its maximum efficiency curve...

Yeah fuzzy is the truth. I don't really have a answer to your question but heres a idea FWIW. (Not very practical)

If you have a goal for your water parameters you can see if your skimmer meets it. What that goal should be? As close to natural reef water as possible. I can think of 2 things that MAY be directly related to a skimmer performance that you can test. REDOX or O2/time test and maybe water clarity.

But their are other things that can influence these reading that you should isolate the tank form these things during your tests. Refugium, lighting, carbon.... basically just run the skimmer and pumps only. Before and durring these tests.

If I could do just one test I'd graph the O2 in the water. In a separate container, as soon as you take the water out of the tank and chart the O2 level over time. The faster it drops the worst your water is the slower it drops the better.

Compare that graph to a graph from a pristine reef water and that will be your goal.

What do you think? Just get the best you can afford Right.

I'm still thinking (sorry, I know I'm rambling)

With all that said I want a skimmer that can not only maintain water parameters when everything is healthy, but also when something dies... in the tank. Remember a skimmer responds very fast to changes in your tank when most other types of filtration responds slowly. So maybe you want one a little better than you think you need.

Id stick with your Pro P also, until you can get a Good in-sump or external skimmer.

Back