Skimmer: Wanted to upgrade and not sure about newer technology

gmpolan

Market
Reaction score
Ok guys, so as my system has advanced over the past couple of months and the bio load has increased. I am looking to upgrade my skimmer one last time and wanted to hear any opinions or experiences from those who use the some of the more advanced/expensive skimmers. Ive looked into many different routes and would like to keep the budget around 800 or less if at all possible. I am currently running a mrc mr2 with a mag 18 ( i know it should be pressure rated or a mag 24) and an extra large waste cup (which at some point, id like get rid of and actually close my cabinet door) and the sump space is about 13 x 18 x 24 (which really limits my options). I looked into the vertex and bubble king but man those get pricey quick. Ive also looked into the octopus but never had any experience with their more advanced line (used to run a dnwb 110 and loved it). I am also talking with raj to see if they can come up with anything in my range as i loved william1's skimmer. So any input would be great guys as im not sure where to start since its been years since ive looked at purchasing a new one.

:yay:

what's wrong with the MR2 ?

is it not keeping up ?

(is it running dual becketts or single?)

Perhaps but i feel like i could be doing alot better job skimming.Single becket..i mean it takes a good two weeks or so to fill up the xl container and thats after cleaning the beckets and the neck. Only other option would be to go to a mag 24....

The beckett skimmers are good at pulling crud... just not energy efficient at all. When I was looking at getting a skimmer a lot of people pointed towards the cone skimmers. I ended up going with the SRO XP3000int. Its workin pretty good considering I have very minimal bioload right now.

Shoot ~mojo a pm on RC. Tell him about your system, your budget and available space. I think that guy knows more about skimmers than just about anyone. No really Geoff... do this.

gmpolan;614996 wrote: Perhaps but i feel like i could be doing alot better job skimming.Single becket..i mean it takes a good two weeks or so to fill up the xl container and thats after cleaning the beckets and the neck. Only other option would be to go to a mag 24....

Upgrade your pump and add a second beckett and it will go to a whole other level. IMHO, nothing outskims a clean, properly driven beckett

jmaneyapanda;615082 wrote: Upgrade your pump and add a second beckett and it will go to a whole other level. IMHO, nothing outskims a clean, properly driven beckett

I was going to say - dont spend $800 on a new skimmer when you can upgrade the one you have and the pump for few hundred, that skimmer modded can run 600 gal.

FWIW - I have my mag 24 wide open on it - with the right adjustments it WILL pull out some poo. I agree they are a lil finicky to get just right and may require more frequent adjustments than other skimmers on the market.

Crewdawg1981;615013 wrote: The beckett skimmers are good at pulling crud... just not energy efficient at all.
?

I have to disagree..

my system went from over 270w in pumps (a return and a skimmer pump) to less than 100w... (one pump runs my return, skimmer, and all "accessories")

IMO, they are MORE efficient than a skimmer that MUST use a dedicated pump..

Rbredding;615356 wrote: ?

I have to disagree..

my system went from over 270w in pumps (a return and a skimmer pump) to less than 100w... (one pump runs my return, skimmer, and all "accessories")

IMO, they are MORE efficient than a skimmer that MUST use a dedicated pump..

Well ...thats not exactly comparing apples to apples... in your situation (running a manifold) I would agree with you....

But Geoff isnt running one so running a beckett skimmer is less energy efficient for him.

Crewdawg1981;615496 wrote: Well ...thats not exactly comparing apples to apples... in your situation (running a manifold) I would agree with you....

But Geoff isnt running one so running a beckett skimmer is less energy efficient for him.

sorry.. you made the blanket statement, I was only attempting to clarify..

He can still run a manifold off an internal pump.. almost every one I've seen that you'd use to push that size skimmer will also accept hard pvc plumbing (MIP/FIP threads)..

(but don't get me started on Danner's MAG pumps, IMO, there are SO MANY more efficient options out there, it's ridiculous to use them.. )

Back