Skimmer waste shut off

haninja

Lifetime
Reaction score
How does it work? I read something about when it's full it applies back pressure on the skimmer cup thus reducing the water level. If that is the case, that will only work on skimmers that can seal the cup completely? what about a skimmer that like octopus xtreme that has the to of the cup just siting on top unconnected?

You'll need one with an electronic switch that turns off the skimmer pump :)

Yeah, just an electric float switch on a controller. Something like a water top off controller would work, or if you have an Aquacontroller or Reefkeeper, you could use that as well.

I Don't think I need any controlling device. Just need an NC float switch rated for 120v, splice the skimmer pump wire and mount the float switch in the waste collection container. As it is separate from the tank I don't worry about electrocuting the tank.

Yeah, but I'd worry about running the power for the pump through the float switch. Seems it'd be better on a relay type setup, like this one:

a>

Stuff happens. The cup can overflow. This is just a safety net, and I'd bet those with externally mounted skimmers would love something like this.

texhorns98;335246 wrote: Why don't you just clean your cup or container out more often? :)
Like others said, skimmers do go nuts every once in a while. I'm planning on going on vacation and I don't want to have my tank sitter empty the collection cup every 3 days. Instead, I'm thinking of hooking up the drain line and have it collect in a 5 gallon bucket. But, need to be prepared if the skimmer decides to go nuts and overflow my sump to my floor...

Drain it into a 5 gallon bucket but have the air inlet in the bucket as well. For a week or so it won't hurt it. Then if the skimmer goes crazy, the bucket fills up and the pump starts pulling water and stops flooding until it starts sucking air again. It won't stop the skimmer from running but it will stop a flood from happening. You can do the same thing without a bucket for collection.

Of the two, I use/prefer the air inlet being in the collection. It doesn't hurt the pump and it doesn't depend on a valve/sensor that can fail also. To me, its just a better alternative.

I made one for my old Beckett skimmer out of a toilet flush valve kit, a John Guest fitting, and an old salt bucket. Worked perfectly and costs all of $15 if you have the bucket. In fact if I still have mine you can have it if you want.

Back