Skimmerless

sagent3000

Market
Reaction score
i am thinking about going skimmerless. i just built a sump but forgot to leave enough room for a skimmer and i don't like the way it looks and its helll trying to figure out how to keep the bubbles out the tank. i have one tunze 6000 on a controller and one nanostream 6045 both shooting water the same way. i am thinking that i will do a 20% - 25% water change every month. this is just till i get my new house http://www.ez-smilies.com/smilies/cool0012.gif" alt="" /> how do you guys think that will work?

my current load

a few corals
1 - Regal Tang
1 - Kole Tang
1 - Peppermint Shrimp
1 - Skunk Shrimp
1 - Maroon Clown (another one soon to come)
1 - Strawberry Pseudo
a couple wrasse in the near furtue

(WILL NEED A LARGER TANK FOR THE NEW HOUSE SO GUYS KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN LOOKING FOR A 4' - 5')

Two questions, what type of corals are in the tank and Deep sand bed or shallow sand bed?!?

it is a 4 - 5" sand bed in the tank and in the refugium

corals

1 - GSP
1 - toadstool
1 - dersea clam
1 - kenya tree
5 sps

8 54watt t-5

I just bought a skimmer--and haven't set it up yet-but-have been up and running with a decent amount of bioload for about a year and a half; no probs. yet--I would be a little more aggressive with my WC's though-I try to do about 15% a week, but here lately been more like 20% every two (or so) weeks; got a good clean up crew, lots of LR, and like I said-as of now-no probs. Just take it slow-and I agree, I'd get at least a 100, but more realistically at least a 125 or bigger-the regals like a bigger tank--

The soft corals will grow like crazy, the SPS might have a problem with no skimmer. I ran my 55 with a heavy bio-load with no skimmer for about three months and was just fine.Then again, I run a soft and LPS tank. You might notice a yellow tint to the water after a while. I would keep the bio-load low and not add any more fish till you get a skimmer hooked up. You might also thimk about a WC every two weeks instead of once a month. But all SHOULD be well. Just keep an eye on your NO3.

DSB Macro Algae/Mangrove refugium filter all the way, all the way. When I first started scuba diving I was surprised at the amount of particulates in the water around the reefs, way more than you see in your standard, heavily filtered sps tank. I think its better to keep that stuff in your tank to feed your corals and use plants to remove the phosphates and nitrates. Advantages: Use less power, add less heat, less noise. More of a natural approach that requires less maintenance.

Last year my tank went eight months, no water changes, with very little algae growth in the display but I generaly try and do a small change once a month to replensh trace elements. Also if you use GAC your water will stay crystal clear.

I say go for it.

-Merlin

DSB Macro Algae/Mangrove refugium filter, all the way. When I first started scuba diving I was surprised at the amount of particulates in the water around the reefs, way more than you see in your standard, heavily filtered sps tank. I think its better to keep that stuff in your tank to feed your corals and use plants to remove the phosphates and nitrates. Advantages: Use less power, add less heat, less noise. More of a natural approach that requires less maintenance.

My tank has gone eight months, no water changes, with very little algae growth in the display but I generaly try and do a small change once a month to replensh trace elements. Also if you use GAC your water will stay crystal clear.

I say go for it.

-Merlin

I think you are going to have problems with nuissance algae without a skimmer or aggressive water changes.

Have you considered a constant water change setup?
what you mean?

i change 30% every sunday and i skim now i was thinking do the 30% once a month and stop skimming

A system that is constantly pumping water out and pumping fresh saltwater in then remove the skimmer from the system. Would automate the water changes greatly and you could easily dial in how much water needs to go out for new water to come in.

Back