Sky High Mag with reef crystals?

russ-iv

Market
Reaction score
I spoke with a friend who uses IO and he mentioned the mag is all over the place from 1100-1600 depending on the batch.

i tested mine 3 times with a red sea test kit i had from my old 220 a couple years ago and it's stating my mag is 1400. I havent dosed anything and my salinity is 1.023 (refractometer). I spoke with Rit and he stated from his experience it is usually on the low end at 900.

Dont really want to order another mag kit but if its bad...bleh. If there is a more solid kit ill roll with that.

whats your guys experience with it?

I'll test my mag when I get home - I have a pretty new kit and I use IO. It tested at 1400 the last time I checked, which was about a month ago.

Crew;1034987 wrote: I'll test my mag when I get home - I have a pretty new kit and I use IO. It tested at 1400 the last time I checked, which was about a month ago.

you only use IO?btw thanks.

its really hard to see this kit expiring IME. Not like its an API drop test dependent on consistency and shaking bottles.

The box should have an expiration date on the side. Around 2 years if I remember correctly.

Ringo®;1034990 wrote: The box should have an expiration date on the side. Around 2 years if I remember correctly.

nope. and red sea boasts their shelf life which is why im puzzled. i may get a different kit anyway. I was just wondering about the 1400 mag with reef crystals. or if it was generally low and my kit is off it's rocker.

I have used IO for the last year now and have had Mg as low as 1150 and as high as 1500 but typically I get right around 1250

I use reef crystals and all but one batch has been around 1400. I always test all parameters when I start on a new box and make sure I shake up the bag really well before mixing. I've read that if you use a bucket some of the chemicals may settle towards the bottom. That might explain high and low mag or other variances.

Bcavalli;1035042 wrote: I use reef crystals and all but one batch has been around 1400. I always test all parameters when I start on a new box and make sure I shake up the bag really well before mixing. I've read that if you use a bucket some of the chemicals may settle towards the bottom. That might explain high and low mag or other variances.

i was thinking the same but ive been using entire buckets for my 350ish system. Thanks all for the confirmations and experiences.

Tested my mag last night - 1400.

To be 100% transparent, I don't JUST use IO. I dose 2-part and at the end of a rotation of 2-part, I dose Mag (about every 3 months it seems?) Even then, I'm only raising Mag about 50-75ppm in a single dose and then not dosing again for another 90 days.

If we look into the chemistry of it, there isn't a problem with Magnesium being in the 1400-1500 range. magnesium can be detrimental, but it has to get crazy before it's a problem. The biggest thing to remember is magnesium is what lets us take Calcium and Alkalinity to the extreme levels that we do as aquariusts. Without it, Cal and Alk would precipitate out well below even 300ppm.

As an extreme example, Magenesium is used when you shuck oysters commercially, but they have to pump the mag to over 8,000 before the oyster freaks out.

Back