Market
Reaction score
how do i fix thsi outbreak of red slime
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
123305=7560-red slime.jpg
>
123305=7560-red slime.jpg
class="gc-images" title="red slime.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I think you can suck it out and make sure you have flow there

Cyanobacteria is caused by the same nutrient overload that causes algae. If you're at the beginning of your tank cycle, it's normal and will most likely pass. If the tank has been established for a couple months, then better water quality is in order.

This can be done through the usual: increased water changes, more skimming, less feeding, etc.

Cyanobacteria is caused by the same nutrient overload that causes algae.

i have noticed that when i add the ammino acids my red slime grows. i am going to stop adding the ammino acids and just use DT and some food for the fish

sagent3000;123319 wrote: i have noticed that when i add the ammino acids my red slime grows. i am going to stop adding the ammino acids and just use DT and some food for the fish

Yep, sounds like your nutrient levels are too high.

What kind of skimmer are you running? Any other kind of filtration (mechanical, chemical, biological)?

What kind of skimmer are you running? Any other kind of filtration (mechanical, chemical, biological)?

i have a sea clone skimmmer and live rock and gio balls thats it that all

better skimmer, rid the bio balls and are you adding the aminos at night? How often do you dose them?

glxtrix;123326 wrote: better skimmer, rid the bio balls and are you adding the aminos at night? How often do you dose them?

i used to add them when i feed the corals but i stopped period. i am going to get some DT for the corals and start growing my own. and end that problem. i read soemwhere that adding liquid supplements causes red slime

Yeah, with a sea clone on a 75 gallon I would be too afraid to dose DT and amino acids. I would ditch the bio balls, upgrade your skimmer (Octopus skimmers give great bang for the buck), and possibly increase the flow in your tank.

Aminos must be fed at night. And people with sand bottoms don't generally require as much dosing as people with BB tanks. IMO aminos are important to a tank, but thats strictly my oppinion. I'm sure there are people who will disagree with me. In any event, with feeding, adding DT's and aminos, there are a lot of nutrients going into your tank and not many leaving with that skimmer. As Bryan said, Octopus skimmers are amazing! I have one that proves it to me daily. To help remove the slime tho, you can syphon it out with a hose and a lil bit of suction to get the syphon going. Do this right before your lights turn off....at this point is when the red slime is at its peak, you ahve a better chance getting most of it out then. This tho wont "cure" your issue because nutrients are in the tank. You can stop feeding for a few days....no it wont harm your fish. I know people who only feed their fish once a week. Try feeding every other day or every three days till you can get a better skimmer. If the slime keeps ocming back, a no light cycle for 2 or 3 days works pretty well. There is a read about it over on RC. Thats about all I can offer. Hope something works out for ya man, let us know your progress :)

IMO, stop the Amino, stop the DTs, lower your feeding to every other day. Syphon out what you can and run without lights for a day or so. Upgrade the skimmer and remove the bio balls as well for longer term help with this problem.

Once the tank gets back in line, you can increase the feeding schedule if you choose but I would up it slowly. Your tank doesn't need all those nutrients. DTs can help with the pods, but rigth now cleaner water would be a bigger help.

Oh and flow... uping the flow most likely will have a big impact. Cyano generally hates good flow.

i bought my wet dry with out doing any research so what if i mod it? i have the one you buy in a box that has the intake then the pad and the water drips onto the bio balls and into an open space where its pumped back out.

what if i take the bio balls out and put a sheet down and make a refuge. then drill holes in the top so the water can over flow into the from the top part into the open space and then pump back out.

here is a pic tell me if you think it will work. and if it will how long should i let the silicone sit before running water back through
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
123486=7566-wetdry.jpg
>
123486=7566-wetdry.jpg
class="gc-images" title="wetdry.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Is your sump acrylic? If so, silicone won't work. Otherwise, your plan sounds good, although a picture of your current setup would help...

If you can constuct the 'fuge, you'll want to be able to control the amount of water flowing through it. Low flow rates are the accepted norm for refugiums.

the sump is acrylic so not on to next plan. well i am moving some things around and i will hopefully getting a reef ready tank soon i have talked to a few members and i will do something VERY soon

wbholwell;123509 wrote: If you can constuct the 'fuge, you'll want to be able to control the amount of water flowing through it. Low flow rates are the accepted norm for refugiums.
Adjusting flow is a good thing and low flow rates are teh accepted norm, but I have never figured out why people run slow flow through sumps. Some of the big experts are challenging that accepted concept as well.

Cameron;123551 wrote: Adjusting flow is a good thing and low flow rates are teh accepted norm, but I have never figured out why people run slow flow through sumps. Some of the big experts are challenging that accepted concept as well.

The only reason I prefer a relative slower flow through the sump is for the elimation of micro-bubbles.

Back