Small external "vacuum" pump

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
So I'd like to get a pump that I can have two flexible hoses attached to - one sucking detritus and whatnot - similar to a vacuum - and one as the output. Now, most normal people would be fine just using a syphon, but I'm not normal. I want to be able to vacuum my sump as well. So any thoughts as to how I can go about doing this? :D TIA!! :D

Wet/dry vac?
Wet - like I know a lot of larger pumps accommodate this by screwing in barbed fittings - but I've yet to see a small one do it - I just need a gallon or so/minute.

Maxijet? I have one i attach a hose on the output and vacuum attacment on intake. Used a few times to suck detritus from the display and run to a sock over the sump, but became a pain because it would clog or the sump got too full and I'd have to wait. Canister filter works better.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily need the pump out of water - I just want it to be able to suck up detritus while I'm doing a water change but on a smaller scale than the big ole pumps I have currently. That pic you posted @Steve Burton looks perfect - what kind of pump is that?

They sell attachment kits for wet/dry vac's and this.

They sell attachment kits for wet/dry vac's and this.

That’s too much too fast. I want to slowly vacuum and water change at the same time.

Although to be perfectly honest, I find that the maxijet attachment works even better without the maxijet and just long flexible tubing as a siphone. I use it to clean detritus from my sump, which is bare bottom.

That’s too much too fast. I want to slowly vacuum and water change at the same time.
Then use the attachment kit and connect it to a narrow hose or tubing to siphon to a bucket. You could also break seal slightly on the vacuum attachment where it meets the bucket to reduce the amount of suction in the hose.

Lowe's also has the good buckets that aren't opaque and there's graduations on the side. They also have foam handles.

What I do is us a maxi jet with the "exhaust" tube going back into the sump before the filter. I run it to my hearts content then change out the filter media

So I purchased a maxi jet 1200 and I’ll basically be vacuuming and doing my water changes at the same time.

Back