Small t5 diy

dustin

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking to build a small single lamp t5 for actinic supplement. The led modules just won't work with the lack of air flow and distance to the water. I was thinking of doing water proof end caps and keeping the ballast behind my setup. I have the redsea 130d and this would be going on the hood flap. Any experience with brands or a cheap ballast to run just 1 lamp would be great.

Thanks in advance for any advice

I'm surprised a panaroma pro or 2 wouldn't work better than a t5. But a workhorse would be you best bet in pricing ( no including used) . I would be wondering how the end caps would be mounted under the hood and how often bulbs needed to be clean and change due to the amount of salt creep it would sustain. Even with the lowest profile set up I can think of it's still need about 2-2.5 inch of clearance.

I've had 2 panorama pros burn out due to heat and moisture. With a gutted hood lip I think I would have clearance for a single 18 inch t5. I will probable rig some plexi glass to help with the salt creep. I'd imagine an occasional wipe down will be in order. I'm going to look around for something used and I have seen the workhorse ballast. I wish I could repair the panorama pro as I have some ideas on how to protect it but after losing two I think I'm done with them.

Honestly in it sure how the led got burnt out. I've literally have dropped mine into the tank and they worked ounces dry. You ever though about buying the led rope off eBay and using that? You can tuck it under the hood and it's meant for high heat and outdoor application maybe it'll work. It's like 15.99 for 2 ft if it

I've ordered the marineland hidden led in all blue spectrum. I will post my results to assist others. I think with this units waterproof design and low cost it will add a little color and give me the effect I'm looking for. I've had 2 ecoxotic units go out on me in short order and don't want to risk another one. We shall see...

Back