Snail ID

drnecropolis

Market
Reaction score
Found 4 of these things crawling on a rock. Not really sure what they are..Small shell compared to the body.. The smallest was maybe 1/4" and the largest being around 1"

Sorry for the bad pics

100_0374.jpg
alt="" />
100_0375.jpg
alt="" />
100_0376.jpg
alt="" />

Derek_S;295375 wrote: Stomatella I think. Safe.
Oops.. they met an end down the sink... More of a "Kill it now and be glad later" kinda guy...I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them later though..

Oh well...Live and learn..

Yeah... A quick glance at Google Images... Def. what they are... I wonder if there are more in there... That was the only ones I have ever seen.. I suppose they might have been on the clam I added yesterday, Hope there are more of them though..Kinda doubt it though since I have never seen them before..

Barbara;295386 wrote: Look for them at night. They come out at night and crawl up the glass and on the rocks. I sometimes see 'em during the day, but at night they explode in my tank! I put some in my tank intentionally so they would breed, and I've given some to Derek and someone else. They're really good little guys. Maybe you have more.
I hope so kiddo...im an avid night watcher and have never seen them before though... Maybe Im not looking for the right thing though.... I need to get off my duff and get those Cathodes installed so I will have a form of Moonlight..Havent had any in about 3 years..

Yep those were Stometella sp. excellent algae eaters and breed in the home aquaria. I have hundreds, maybe thousands in my tanks. Just like the pods, if they are on a coral or a frag, I consider them a freebie for the customer. :)

tim8111;295422 wrote: Yep those were Stometella sp. excellent algae eaters and breed in the home aquaria. I have hundreds, maybe thousands in my tanks. Just like the pods, if they are on a coral or a frag, I consider them a freebie for the customer. :)
Im betting they came from the clam(which is doing great!) Oh well... I know now..and maybe wont be so quick to smoke them next time.

I like them. They are tough and good cleaners, and stay out of site in the day for your viewing pleasure.

I am a big believer in the Kill it!!! Kill it with Fire!!! Method as well. :D

Wow good find for you!

That is the ultra rare Madagascar Stommie rare as can be, almost impossible to get and worth a small fortune!

Oh I see you flushed it NM.

So what's up with 120 mafia? I wanna be in that, but I dont have a 120.

tim8111;295422 wrote: Yep those were Stometella sp. excellent algae eaters and breed in the home aquaria. I have hundreds, maybe thousands in my tanks. Just like the pods, if they are on a coral or a frag, I consider them a freebie for the customer. :)
If you can get me some, I would have a reason to come to your store next. Then there is no telling what i would buy.

Son of Adam;295487 wrote: If you can get me some, I would have a reason to come to your store next. Then there is no telling what i would buy.

Well I am sure I can find you a few. But think if you just buy a coral, it is like the lottery you might win some. :)

tim8111;295505 wrote: Well I am sure I can find you a few. But think if you just buy a coral, it is like the lottery you might win some. :)

Yep, Going to tim's makes me a winner anyway. Give that man a hand. :yay:

Affectedhalf;295530 wrote: I guess I'm the only one that doesn't believe in the kill it with fire immediately. :eek: I must know what it is I am killing first, before I kill it. I'm a softy though. :/

I even opted to keep the ol' bristle worms around though many people hate them. I don't mind them cleaning. :up: If I start to get overrun then I'll do some pop'n control.
I love BW's... Havent seen to many lately though

Affectedhalf;295530 wrote: I guess I'm the only one that doesn't believe in the kill it with fire immediately. :eek: I must know what it is I am killing first, before I kill it. I'm a softy though. :/

I even opted to keep the ol' bristle worms around though many people hate them. I don't mind them cleaning. :up: If I start to get overrun then I'll do some pop'n control.

I use bristle worms to eat waste, if the animal is not harmful, I leave it. If I know what it is, like a Gorilla Crab, well it must die!

Now, with that being said, I would rather kill a hitchhiker than risk $25,000+ in inventory that I have in my store. Better safe than sorry.

I will pull a unkown critter out place it in a specimen container and google it, then kill it. :)

Back