Snow flake eels.

mapleredta

Market
Reaction score
Im getting ready to purchase one soon and Id like a little info from yall that have one. I know I need a tight fitting top but what else?

They have been known to eat crustaceans, so be careful. You will also need to target feed it.

For feeders, you might consider acclimating some freshwater mollies to saltwater. Once acclimated, they can be added to the eel tank without having to worry about dead food fouling the water. Since they breed practically all the time, you'll get a decent supply of feeders going in no time. Just make sure you feed the mollies high quality food to increase their nutritional value.

As an added bonus, they also eat algae, so they're useful beyond just feeders as well.

George;57514 wrote: For feeders, you might consider acclimating some freshwater mollies to saltwater. Once acclimated, they can be added to the eel tank without having to worry about dead food fouling the water. Since they breed practically all the time, you'll get a decent supply of feeders going in no time. Just make sure you feed the mollies high quality food to increase their nutritional value.

As an added bonus, they also eat algae, so they're useful beyond just feeders as well.
:wow2: wow I didnt know that.

You could even set up a junker side tank with a cheap biowheel filter to breed the mollies outside the eel's tank.

The fry are amazingly adept at survival and if you have a sump, you're apt to find some in there.

I use to feed mine krill, loved it! and some formula 1 cubes as well. Yes just please make sure you have a tight fitting lid, they will get out of anything!

Thanks for the help every body. Could you recommend me a place to get a good fitting lid for my 55?

I guess if you buy fresh water Mollies and acclimate them you don't have to QT them? Since fw ick is different then sw ick and any fw parisites won't live in sw?

jefftullius;57574 wrote: I guess if you buy fresh water Mollies and acclimate them you don't have to QT them? Since fw ick is different then sw ick and any fw parisites won't live in sw?
As I understand it, yes. Until, of course, they pick up SW Ick.

Back