Snowcasso Trademark?

thanhreef

Market
Reaction score
I saw a sale thread last night about Snowcasso Trademark. I bought Snowcassos directly from Doni 6 years ago (see my Avatar). So if I sell my fishes, I cannot use Snowcasso. Is it right?

thanks,

Selling it as Snowflake x Picasso is probably your safest bet

Ringo®;962248 wrote: Selling it as Snowflake x Picasso is probably your safest bet

really? I'm not a fish breeder and I cannot use original name "Snowcasso" if I sell my original fishes.

thanhreef;962253 wrote: really? I'm not a fish breeder and I cannot use original name "Snowcasso" if I sell my original fishes.

I think Dr. Patel would be the one to answer that question. I was just naming the safest course of action for the "when in doubt" moments.

I'm curious what the answer to this is. I would think that selling the fish that are trademark snowcasso's as snowcasso's would be completely legitimate. However, even if you buy two snowcasso's and breed them that might not necessarily mean that the offspring qualify. For example, two picasso's do not produce 100% Picasso offspring, I believe they would usually produce a mix of misbar percs, various grades of picasso's and even platinums.

Just speculating, of course. I don't exactly know what all of this is in reference to, but I'd probably be pretty irritated if I owned the brand name of something and someone used that name to sell their product.. Especially so if it is of lower quality. When the fake is not easily spotted that can do real damage to a brand name.

And that's exactly what it is, a brand name of designer fish.

I'm not interested in breeding although my pair has laid eggs every 2 weeks or so. Many people from RC, R2R including Slayer contacted me and wanted to buy them. I'm not interested in selling them either.

You are ok to sell them as Snowcassos, here is a clip from Donie's reef. Ferrari is a trademarked name, you dont have to change the name of the car when you buy one should you choose to sell it...

Snowcasso® is a registered trademark for A. percula bred by Doni's Reef that show A+ picasso markings (a lot of white).

Only fish bred/sold by Doni's Reef may be called by this name.

Please email me with any questions you may have!
Doni Marie
store at donisreef dot com

I guess that depends on your definition of ok. The last thread for snowcassos got closed for copyright infringement.

Ok is OK, dont make any sense that you have to change a name of something after you buy it through a legitimate source.

Bgcoop8784;962332 wrote: You don't have to change the name after you buy the fish...if you decide to breed them and sell the young, you can't sell them as snowcasso, to be a snowcasso, they have to be bred by Tank Bred Aquatics. This is what was happening in the last thread, he wasn't selling fish that were bought as snowcassos, he was selling fish that he bred and using the name snowcasso.

That made sense. Thank you

Snowcasso is a trademark , registered at the United States Patent Office to Tank Bred Aquatics. This was originally owned by Doni Posey, who has retired from breeding and sold her brood stock and trademark to my company.

I have spent a considerable amount of time, effort and money on registrations, lawyers fees, and the acquisition of the trademark. If you have brought a Snowcasso from Doni in the past or buy one from Tank Bred Aquatics in the future , you may sell the original fish that you brought as a Snowcasso. There is no issue with this.

The problem arises when you try and take the name Snowcasso or any similar or confusing term to try and sell a fish that did not originate from Doni's original stock or from Tank Bred Aquatics. This includes any babies produced by any original Snowcasso that a third party may own. This dilutes and weakens the trademark and is a federal offense. You can not sell a fish called a Snowcasso that you did not purchase from/originate from Tank Bred Aquatics or Doni.

You cant make shoes at home and sell them as Nikes, you cant make computers at home and sell them as Apples, you cant make a sump at home and sell it as one from MRC. A trademark is just that, it protects the identity of a company and Tank Bred Aquatics will protect the Snowcasso name and pursue legal action and monetary compensation from any individual or company that violates federal law. Something unfortunately that my law firm is doing with a handful of individuals at the present time.

This was meant to be a fun adventure and a way to acquire some great fish and name, but there will always be individuals who will want to profit off others hard work. Even though Doni had several offers (some from the bigger clown fish hatcheries in the U.S), she decided to sell them to me, because i promised her I would not allow her name and legacy to wash away. A promise I will keep.

Dr Jaime Patel
Tank Bred Aquatics

Back