So I killed my 2nd diamond goby...

Dmitri

Market
Reaction score
Last year I got my first diamond goby. It was doing great in biocube lived their fro about 3 months. Then I decided to put it in my main display and next day found it dead on the carpet. Little did I know that they like to jump...

And so today I come from work and started  moving some rock work in my frag tank. Few days ago I had couple of rocks crash down on the sand and I could figure out how that happened.

so I lift this big rock, about 10lbs and guess what I find under it...?!

yep my diamond goby was crushed right under it. I put it in the tank with deepsand bed three days ago without giving it a 2nd thought. Afterall, I did have good cover on top this time.

so there he was totally crushed under the rock. I’m guessing he was digging in the sand and made my rock structure collapse on him. But never have I experience or heard of such instance.

Leasson learned to secure rock work.

anyone experienced similar situation with fish getting crushed by the rock work ?

Was your rock on top of the sand bed or directly on the bottom glass with the sand around and covering the base of the rock?

Diamond Gobys are cool fish but will decimate a sandbed of useful creatures and can starve in a tank not heavily fed. I would avoid them if possible.  Yes they are jumpers in a new or newly changed/rearranged tank.

Back