So what are the rules concerning wrasse?

purplegorilla

Reaction score
I want to add some additional wrasse. However I don't want to add somothing that will kill each other. I seen a lot of fairy wrasse that basically look very similar to each other. Please educate me.

I think wrasses are like tangs... you have to introduce them properly or you will be in for some deaths. How big is your tank should likely be the first consideration. Small tanks are going to be more problematic.

The only real rule is not to mix lined wrasses with fairy/flashers. Generally, the lined wrasses will typically destroy the fairy/flashers sooner or later.

Other than that, add whatever color combination suits your taste.

Although not a rule, you will find that many of the wrasses do best when you include females with a male. All the flashers for instance will be healthier and happier, and flash a helluva lot more if you have females available. I've got plenty of fishies, but I find myself staring at the mckosker all the time just to see him flash at his lone female :). I need to get him a few more girlfriends... When you have harems you are also more likely to develop a supermale wrasse. The supermales of each species are simply stunning.

Fairies and their close cousins the flashers all have similar body types... so yah they look similar. Their coloration though is amongst the most beautiful for reef safe fish.

I keep three sixline wrasses in my 75g to protect my clams, so I think it depends on who's rulebook you read. I did introduce all at the same time and all are juveniles. I have found that the best info for keeping species that are supposedly incompatible is marine breeding websites.

a>

Trinhs smallest tank is 180g I believe so he does have plenty of room...correct me if im wrong.

each of the different genus are quite distinctive in characteristics. Reefkeeping has extensive articles about most species.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/subject/fish.htm">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/subject/fish.htm</a>

I would be very hesitant to get anything outside a flasher/fairy for a community tank. If you keep a mandarin, i'd suggest against getting a wrasse. They will decimate your infauna population.

I've got 7 in my ~80 gallon tank. Mostly flashers and fairies and no real aggression issues. They were all added at different times. I don't think there is any trick to it, I just throw them in there. I did add the more territorial ones last though and it just happened to work out. There are some people that have 50 or so wrasses in the same tank, so it can be done :).

In addition to the fairy/flashers some of the wrasse from the Halichores genus are quite beautiful, benefitial, and reef safe. I also think some of the leopard wrasses in the Macropharyngodon genus are gorgeous as well as reef-safe but they have a reputation of having low longterm survival rates.

I don't believe that the fairies/flashers really have that much of an impact on fauna as they're more dedicated planktivores than anything else. They will pick at the occasional rock but not in the same frequency or dedicated manner you see in some other wrasses.

There's a helluva lot of choices out there... I found
a> website to have decent information and some wonderful pictures by Tanakasan.

i have 4 in the tank as of now and have two more on the way ...i also plan on doing a school of flasher wrasses so no biggy ...only thing i wish i could add with out it killing all my wrasses would be a mystery but i guess i will have to deal with it

Man, I added a 6 line wrasss and some type of fairy wrass already..ALready i broke the first rule. hahahha.

I am trying to add more fairy wrasses but afraid since they look similar to each other, I wasn't sure of how they will react. All of these will go into a 240.

Hmm, I am ready to order when ever you are ready. I am interested in at least 4 more wrasses. ONe of them being Scott fairy wrass, and definitely some male flasher wrasse.

purpleGORILLA;147613 wrote: ONe of them being Scott fairy wrass, and definitely some male flasher wrasse.

I've read that Scott's Fairy is one of the most aggressive Fairies.

Wow... that sounded completely contradicting... :lol2:

Back