So what pump are you using to feed your Ca. Reactor

purplegorilla

Reaction score
I know on my MRC calcium reactor, I just Teed it from one of my over flow pipes and used gravity to feed it back into my sump. This is down in the basement so I have a lot of room. Now I am trying get another Ca. Reactor going into my 240 but dont' know what pump to use.

From the past tinkering with the MRC. I dont' want to put a high psi pump into it because all it does is cause unecessary leaks. I am thinking about a power head but dont' know how to go from that size to a 1/4 hard tube.

go with an eheim. i've only heard great things about it. it's longevity is second to none.

maxijet1200 into dual chamber MRC here. Seems to work well.

I have been using Magdrive 2 on all my reactors with no problems. Alot cheaper then ehiem

Yeah Eheim are great but I am not sure if I want 1500 gph of flow through the Ca. reactor.. YOu have to think its 40-60 drops a minute out of 1/4 rubber tubing. All that pressure from the pump going into the Ca. Reactor gotta go somewhere.

I use a little fountain pump..forgot the brand name but its rated at 200-300GPH. You don't need much pressure into your Cal Reactor.

glxtrix;154228 wrote: My feed line is T'ed from my return pump (MAG9.5)

perhaps i misunderstood the question... are you talking about a feed pump or a recirculating pump?

don't you need slow water circulation in a CA reactor to insure that the media "melts" evenly?

"So what pump are you using to feed your Ca. Reactor" As the title states. A T thats downsized to 1/4" line from the T point and traveling up 3' to the reactor isnt much. My recirc pump is a MAG2....many people go larger for recirc pumps. No issue there.

NavyReefer;154231 wrote: Don't use a feed pump....should I be?

Well neither do I on my MRC. But Mine is in the basement so I took advantages of gravity. However the second Ca. reactor is under a stand with limited space.

Just use a MJ1200 if you're limited to space. Initially thats what I was going to use, till I found out that the MJ didn't have enough umphh to get up 3' to the reactor.

glxtrix;154234 wrote: "So what pump are you using to feed your Ca. Reactor" As the title states.

what a way to shoot myself in the foot... :whistling:

It's all good. But for a recirc, you hit it nicely with saying an Eheim. If I were to ever replace mine, I'd prolly go with the Eheim 1048 which is at 158 gph

The way my skimmer was designed it created a natural suction so never needed a feed pump. If I open the return valve all the way I can fill a cup in no time.

The Reactor is about 6 inches below the sump the feed comes from.

I use a quite one 1200 and it has enough head pressure to feed a geio 612 that is 40" above it.

Joe

Yeah I was trying to decide between a Quite one 1200 or this...Anyone have experiences with Mini Jet. It comes with 2 yrs warranty .

merchant.mvc

i used a minijet as a return for my nano cube (pre MJ1200 mod craze). it's an awesome little pump. i've never had it clog, get stuck, or stop pumping water in any way.

Back