So whats a good 205w 20K bulbs to use?

purplegorilla

Reaction score
I want to see what 20k looks like in my tank with 250w DE. Can anyone recommend any particular brand that have high pars and looks good? Or possible have one I can try before ordering?

I think the 205w are triple ended. Sorry, lame attempt at humor. :)
Seriously, I have a 20k 250w DE that you are more than welcome to borrow and you're right around the corner from me. I can't remember/don't know the brand.

Hahaha, I just now saw it...My caffeines haven't kick in yet. IF you don't mind I would like to try it to see. When would be the best time to pick it up. Please pm your number.

Tagging along, I purchased a couple of Giesemann 14.5k 250W DE's in hopes of getting color similar to a Phoenix and I'm not. I'm thinking about switching to 20k's, any thoughts folks?

why not use the phoenix? It has excellent colouration; just look at John's tank (shwaggs)

Skriz;158625 wrote: why not use the phoenix? It has excellent colouration; just look at John's tank (shwaggs)

You know variety is the spice of life..:up: Really I have phoenix and I think it is just a little too blue. Trying to see if there is something elses.

dawgdude;158648 wrote: A 20k will be bluer than a phoenix....
not all 20k are bluer look at the usio 20k its not as blue as the phoenix ...but either bulb is nice in my opinion

I need something that is somewhat blue but not as bright. So I figured 20k could provide enough Par and don't have to illuminate my whole neighborhood.

dawgdude;158653 wrote: I have to disagree victor. I have an Ushio 20k on my 30 cube that is 10 feet from my 90 with the phoenix and it is DEFIANTLY bluer than the phoenix. Your welcome to come see for yourself :)
if you didnt live so far

Skriz;158625 wrote: why not use the phoenix? It has excellent colouration; just look at John's tank (shwaggs)

I was originally, then the wife told me she didn't like the look. (I have a 150 Phoenix on another tank.) I thought maybe these would be a happy medium between the Phoenix and a standard 10k (Ushio or AB). I mentioned one night that I really didn't like the color and the next thing I know she is agreeing:huh: .

I'm kinda of on the fence, trying to decide. I like the brightness of the Giesemann 14k's but it could be "bluer", IMO. I actually added two more T-5 actinics to try and make it bluer, no good either. These are really bright! Are there anyother 20k's that sort of look like Phoenix lamps? :confused2:

dawgdude

"I have to disagree victor. I have an Ushio 20k on my 30 cube that is 10 feet from my 90 with the phoenix and it is DEFIANTLY bluer than the phoenix. Your welcome to come see for yourself :)"

I agree with Dawgdude. I think my 400 usio 20k is little to blue for me.
When I switched from 10,000 with actinic to them.
I felt like my tank looked like 70s trip out poster that you set and stair
Go Hmmm OHHHH AHHH dude did you just see that too.

They have burned in a little but still very blue.

joe

dawgdude;158765 wrote: Explain to me the EXACT spectrum you are looking for and ill try to make a recommendation. ie I want a bulb that has ALOT of actinic and is not very bright or I want a pure white bulb with no actinic or I want a completely blue tank with crazy actinics....you get the drift.

I would like the corals to really f<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">luoresce so it would have to be high in actinic, bright blue white. I never really saw the point in 20k spectrum bulbs till recently. I have never had some of those eye popping colors, mine always seem washed due to too much red/yellow spectrum. My lighting system can handle (4) T-5 54W and (2) 250W DE halides. Thanks for the assist.</span></span>

Back