So when you are feeding phytos...

purplegorilla

Reaction score
Do you normally turn off the return pump...If so for how long? Knowing me, I will probably forget to turn it back on...Or should I turn off the skimer? Or both?

I've been turning off the skimmer for 1 to 2 hours.

What's everyone else doing?

I turn off my skimmer but leave the pumps on. My skimmer only runs half time.

I don't use any mechanical filtration (filter sock, etc) so I leave the circulation pumps running and turn off the skimmer for an hour every time I feed anything...

I've actually heard of cases (many) where the return pump was left off after feeding and forgotten about until too late and losses occured. I'd just turn off the skimmer and leave the return pump on.

I feed phyto, plus grow my own, and only turn off the skimmer for 30-60 minutes. No need to turn the return pump off. All the critters in your sump need the phyto also! Share the wealth!

My theory for sumps, right or wrong, is that it can only be good to get the phyto there since it will hopefully multiply. Isn't that the goal for any live food?

Saltwater, I think it opened. I didn't get to see my tank yesterday till the lights went off unfortunately.

I try to maintain a phyto level in the water column for the bugs and other feeders to eat. I just leave the skimmer on and dose it as far upstream from the skimmer as possible, if you're doing live phyto (not DT's). I dose it directly and only to my refugium. Admittedly a good deal of my skimmer output is probably phytoplankton, but that's the trade off on any filter feeder food.

Back