Soaking with vinegar?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I soaked some plumbing parts that I've taken out of my system in 50/50 water/vinegar and it did an excellent job getting the buildup of whatever it is off of them. Other than rinsing and drying very well is there anything I need to do before using them again? This is probably a dumb question, but I get very nervous about anything that gets used on or goes into my tanks. Thanks for any inputs.

The worst any residue may do is lower your pH. It sounds like you did a good enough job cleaning them. I would not be concerned.

Agreed. Some people actually dose vinegar into their kalk, so dont be worried. Just give it a rinse, and you should be fine.

just curious, but what kind of vinegar do you guys use?

Ok, thanks guys! Raj, I used plain white vinegar like Barbara said and it really worked well. My daughter is at Costco right now and is supposed to be getting 10 gallons for me. I plan on soaking the rock I just got from Marcorocks in a 50/50 solution for about 24 hours before I start cycling it.

Is the rock live rock? If so I think I would just cycle it in another container and do water changes until the ammonia drops off. Not sure if the vinegar will hurt the live part of live rock.

I got both Tonga shelf and Fiji rock from Marcorocks which comes completely dry, so you get a lot more rock per pound and at a very good price. Since it was at one time live rock, it now has a lot of dead organic stuff that will need to decay during the curing process. Marc reccommends just adding some live sand and live rock, heavy skimming, good water flow and frequent changes to cure and seed it. He also reccommends adding one of the bacteria preparations to help it along. I have read many ways to cure this rock and one of them that seems to speed the process is to soak it for some time in a 50/50 vinegar mix, then throw it in a container of saltwater with a heater and powerhead, doing a couple of 50% to 100% water changes for a few days, and then after a couple of weeks add some pieces of live rock to seed it.

saltwater junky;146046 wrote: where can i order some of this rock?
marcorocks.com He has had some issues with supply and is trying to get caught up with orders so there have been some delays in getting the rock. I think it was worth the wait and am very pleased with what I got. There were quite a few large pieces and right now I have them layed out on a template of my tank waiting for me to quit tinkering with it so I can drill it and put rods through it to hold it all in place. Once I'm satisfied and get it drilled I'll start the curing process.

Back