Sock Filtering

SWATLTank

Market
Reaction score
Who's doing it?
What's your experience?
Like it? Love it? Leave it?

I have been doing in place of weekly water changes so I presume I'm keeping the water quality better. For example, if I see a gray spot in a corner - just suck that type of stuff up and put water back in the tank.

I am saving money on water.

I am also saving my back not lifting heavy reservoirs of water up from porch stairs.

I use them. People say they become nitrate factories if not change frequently. But they help keep the sump cleaner. Also provide some additional water polishing, only thing that can really replace water changes is testing and dosing if you can keep your parameters in check water changes can be done less frequently. Imo

Filter socks are great, they take out a lot of "stuff" but they do not take the place of your weekly water changes. The water change will take out the nitrates and put back calcium, alkalinity and magnesium plus many other elements that your corals need. I change mine about every 3-4 days. I have 8 filter socks.

Dang.
That's 2 water changes a week.

Perhaps because I don't have very many fish and dont really do hard corals I am getting away with less water changes and the sock filter.

Interesting and something for me to think about.

I use 200 micron nylon mesh socks on my tanks. Change them out twice a week and 20% water change every 2 weeks. All of my zoas,LPS and SPS are thriving. I use the nylon mesh socks because i can clean all 4 out of my sumps in about 5 minutes

This is kinda more of what I'm doing. Dont know my micron though. I saw it and bought it because it was 10.00 and worth the experiment. Question..I have used it 5 times - should I discard it? I have been wondering how to get it clean.

(I don't have sumps though)

I clean my socks with hot water and every couple of months i soak em in a 50/50 bleach water mix over night.

This is kinda more of what I'm doing. Dont know my micron though. I saw it and bought it because it was 10.00 and worth the experiment. Question..I have used it 5 times - should I discard it? I have been wondering how to get it clean.

(I don't have sumps though)
How are you using the socks without a sump?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Attach sock to bucket with plastic clip that came with it. The clip also has a hole or area to stick end of my hydro pump in. I then just syphon through crushed coral That's how they showed me to do it when I was at Nemo 2 - Stone Mountain. That's how they do it.

Back