Solana vs. Red Sea Max?

alikat

Market
Reaction score
I currently have a Red Sea Max, but am thinking of selling it and getting a Solana. Any opinions?

What experiences have you all had with Solana?

I love my solana but it is my first nano and first halide. With the glass top on evaporation isn't a problem at all. I have an auto top-off and it hardly ever engages. The skimmer is a bit noisy but not bad by my standards at all. It looks great. Some people (dawgdude doesn't like the tank so ask for his opinion as well!) think the glass is too thin, it is thin but seems fine to me. There have also been complaints of the skimmer not being good but mine pulls out a lot o crap, well, after I got it dialed in that is. I love the disco ball and the look of the tank. All in all I love it a whole bunch more than my old 55 with power compacts

Thanks! Man... Decisions, decisions... This hobby sure is costing me a fortune!

I have not seen many cons, other than Dawgdoo. I love the solana!

tebriel;208566 wrote: I love my solana but it is my first nano and first halide. With the glass top on evaporation isn't a problem at all. I have an auto top-off and it hardly ever engages. The skimmer is a bit noisy but not bad by my standards at all. It looks great. Some people (dawgdude doesn't like the tank so ask for his opinion as well!) think the glass is too thin, it is thin but seems fine to me. There have also been complaints of the skimmer not being good but mine pulls out a lot o crap, well, after I got it dialed in that is. I love the disco ball and the look of the tank. All in all I love it a whole bunch more than my old 55 with power compacts
Hey tebriel,
If you buy some airline hose and replace the airhose on the skimmer and run it from the skimmer to under the stand, it will greatly reduce the noise issue. I agree that the glass is a little thin. The advantage of this is the glass is very clear. Every person that has seen my tank comments on the "clearness" of the glass. I did replace the stock skimmer with a deltec. I had issues with fluctuating water levels (even with the ATO) and that kept throwing the skimmer off. You can also replace it with a tunze. The stock skimmer is pretty good, though. There have been a few issues with people having leaks in the beginning, so if you do get one, water test it before you fill it up with sand and LR. I can't comment on the RSM, though. I've never seen one in person. I do love the look of the rimless solana. :yes:
Dawgdude,
sorry for the typo. It really was a mistake and I can't edit it. lol.

Back