Solar tubes

smoothie

Market
Reaction score
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1457056">http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1457056</a>
Never get tired of seeing people converting to this. It's my goal when I get my next house built.

I have been following that thread for a long time. There was some bad luck mixed in there because while his coral was doing well for a while after the switch (though he did lose some color) he then had a crash and lost most of his SPS so we never got a full review of the tubes. Itll be some time but seeing how committed he is to it I am sure he will make it work.

A really amazing thread though and well worth reading if you are considering the tubes.

So how do you think those tubes would do here? I just keep thinking... "well it has been raining for how long how?" I'd love to throw a few of these over my new tank, but I still have concerns....

I would think the raining and cloudy days would only simulate the same lighting variables that corals go thru in the wild. I couldn't imagine it would hurt anything. You could suppplement the tank with some T5's for those dimmer days,where you wont get to enjoy the tank as much.

Harleyguy;268658 wrote: So how do you think those tubes would do here? I just keep thinking... "well it has been raining for how long how?" I'd love to throw a few of these over my new tank, but I still have concerns....

I think you should give it a shot so we can come over and see how great it works :D !

BZ

just be aware that sunlight is horribly yellow, and you must get the positioning just right in order to take advatage of it for more then 2 hours a day.

I honestly dont think its worth it due to the horrid color and lack of effective hours.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing on the color. I was wondering if you could use kind of color filter to adjust it without diminishing the intensity too much.

from my own experience with the tubes for 4 months, the dreary rainy days are getting old. but hey, it's winter in GA. i've had extreme growth of some sps and lps and yes everything is brown without some good actinics. But my icecap quit working and i still have light!

Back