Some ID help

bhodges82

Supporting
Reaction score
So I've noticed these hair-like things before but was never able to get a good pic of them, got a new phone so here's what I have. They look like two small hairs and grow in pairs.
fd66f98ebbe99ad9f7c9eec9a0122e3a.jpg
d56a8b6bd913ef392877bc8f1c327aaa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Might be spaghetti worms. Look that up it might be what your looking at.

I've recently noticed these things in my tanks that's been established for years! I assumed they were some kind of worm. It's odd, you can only see the darn things when you look at the rock's surface with just the right angle and light. I really notice them when I'm looking at my tank in the dark with a flashlight. I can't tell you what the heck they are but I can tell you I've got them everywhere and they don't seem to be an issue. "Two small hairs" is exactly how I'd describe what I'm seeing too!

I've recently noticed these things in my tanks that's been established for years! I assumed they were some kind of worm. It's odd, you can only see the darn things when you look at the rock's surface with just the right angle and light. I really notice them when I'm looking at my tank in the dark with a flashlight. I can't tell you what the heck they are but I can tell you I've got them everywhere and they don't seem to be an issue. "Two small hairs" is exactly how I'd describe what I'm seeing too!
My tank is also pretty mature, I guess they are ok. I do agree you have to look at the right angle to notice them. I haven't noticed any Ill effects from them, but I am curious as to what they are.

My guess is some kind of spaghetti works but it doesn't look exactly like any I've seen pictures of. The one's I have (a) don't seem to form tubes and (b) are only two really fine tentacles. Thanks for posting the btw, I could get any decent picture. Hopefully someone will come along and hook us up with an explanation.

In my experience, spaghetti worms live in the substrate and are reddish in color and have multiple long stringy/curly tentacles. I don't think these are spaghetti worms, but maybe.

My monti setosa has one in it, these things are everywhere. I have just added a CBB for aptasia control, I would line to see him ready these but he's been in hiding for two days due to my rude a$& powder brown tang, fortunately he does eat though.
79404ab7ec235fee299ece71558e4805.jpg
62d3062125ee390eb282848c402c1330.jpg

Looks like the setosa grew over the rock where it was living maybe? I've never noticed them in a coral but they're about impossible to see unless you're really looking for them.

I do believe the setosa grew around it, which suggests to me that it has the ability to sting coral or at least put up a fight for territory.

The closest pictures I've been able to find are from googling "reef hair worm" but event he one's that have the two little hair look like they inhabit some type of tube. I have the one's like yours that don't seem to build a tube as much as live in a small hole in the live rock. Man, I wish I were home so I could look for signs of them building tubes.

I just posted on r2r, maybe the big time guys know something we don't. Lol. I need a magnifying glass.

I bought a clip on set of lenses for my phone last year. If it's close to the glass the macro lens takes some pretty damn good pics for a phone.
This is what I got, but I'm not sure exactly how well it will work with the multiple camera layout the S10 has. I'll let you know next week ;)

Look up spionid worms. I have had them in epic proportions and the only problem is they can piss off some corals. I treated my system for worms a few months back and as a by product the spionid worms are gone. I had a lot of phosphate to deal with for a few weeks but that finally cleared up.

I bought a clip on set of lenses for my phone last year. If it's close to the glass the macro lens takes some pretty damn good pics for a phone.
This is what I got, but I'm not sure exactly how well it will work with the multiple camera layout the S10 has. I'll let you know next week ;)
If it's the polyp lab clip, it works ok, barely covers and takes adjustment. They made most of the camera lenses for iPhone.

Look up spionid worms. I have had them in epic proportions and the only problem is they can piss off some corals. I treated my system for worms a few months back and as a by product the spionid worms are gone. I had a lot of phosphate to deal with for a few weeks but that finally cleared up.
A guy on r2r said hydroids, I looked up the spionid worm, I think is the worm. Hydroids have a snowflake type of look to them usually with a ball like attachment. Either way I hope the copper banded butterfly goes to town on these.

Back