Some PAR test

sailfish

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I was able to barrow a par meter and I did some non-scientific tests.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I bought a 400 watt PFO HQI ballasts to replace my cheap m59s.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I have been running them for a few months with usio 20,000k bulbs in lumanmax reflectors. </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;"> </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Bottom of the reflector 6.5” above water</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I let all bulbs run for 30 min. before testing</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Ushio bulb is around 5 months old</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Radium is brand new</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Test 1. 400 watt Ushio 20,000k on 59 </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Depth = PAR</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">10.5” = 815</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">17.5” = 420</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Test 2. 400watt Ushio 20,000k on PFO HQI</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">10.5” = 765</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">17.5” = 390</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Test 3. 400 watt Radium 20,000k on PFO HQI</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">10.5” = 1230</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">17.5” = 530</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">As for color the Radium run on the HQI looks a crisp white when it is run next to the real blue Ushio on a m59. I tried to start the Radium on my m59 and it would not fire it. </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I think these numbers show why it is very important to test your bulbs. I would have thought that the PFO HQI ballast would have pushed the Ushio harder then the M59.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I will be comparing a 250 double-ended Reeflux versus a 14,000k Phoenix later.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I will keep you posted.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Joe</span>

I don't think I can tomorrow but maybe Sunday. Are you free? Pm me your address again.

Joe

Yea I was really expecting a different outcome. Every time I test my lights I am surprised by something. This is with an apogee The owner said it was calibrated like a year or two ago. It is a slightly higher reading than what I got with someone else's a while ago. This one reads about 50 or so more, so one of them is off a little.

It works for my purposes of being able to see what to expect in acclamation time. I am going to raise my reflectors an inch or two and try the Radiums.

I am thinking about hooking the M59 back up and retesting it even though I know it's right.

I made a trade to get this one for a few days. If you were not so far away I would try to help you out.

Joe

Back