Some sort of gold torch spawning in one of my tanks randomly...

FutureInterest

Market
Reaction score
So at first, I was going to kill it. I've never had majano nem pests but it kind of resembled one as a baby. It was literally growing on the side of a frag plug. So I went to snuff out its life and then it retracted into a rigid skeleton. I then thought it was some sort of polyp bailout... but regardless, it was a coral and so I put it on its own plug...

Now that its growing, I can see that its a gold torch of some sort. It has a green base, blue tips, and gold in its tentacles. Then I found another... and another... I've lost a few as well from shrooms and other things near them as babies but they keep popping up.

This pic is a few weeks old and its gotten bigger since then. I've never had LPS successfully spawn before in my tanks... and I'm not on any lunar cycle which I always thought was a requirement. In 14 years in the hobby this is my first time seeing this happen in my tanks... and I like it :).

1582060835408.png

And when they’re ready to sell I’ll gladly grab one :)

That's pretty dang cool. I'm trying to remember the details but I think @sharis100 had something similar going on in her frag tank with little teeny tiny LPS heads of some sort popping up.

That's pretty dang cool. I'm trying to remember the details but I think @sharis100 had something similar going on in her frag tank with little teeny tiny LPS heads of some sort popping up.
Yes and I have no clue as to where it went.... of course my eye is not 100% right now so....

That’s awesome!

Yeah, I similarly have (at least) 3 little babies of Gold Hammer growing in my tank now. They’re finally starting to get bigger; maybe 2-3mm now. Actually, one was listed on my recent coral frag listing, and someone picked it up already.

Yes, gold hammers make babies on the sides all the time. Which is cool about them. The gold hammers for the holiday party came from tiny side frags that had grown up. Such a cool coral.

It’s not the best photo, but here is one of the baby gold hammers growing on the side of this rock amidst my Acros. The second one is growing next to my BTAs, and the third is among my Iceberg Rhodactis mushrooms.

They must have gotten to these locations by spawning or a minor polyp bailout.
E55A5962-7E75-43D2-A693-64F3FEE99DFC.jpeg

I’ve seen reports of this happening on other forums. It’s interesting that it is always the gold ones that do it (at least from the 3 or 4 reports I’ve seen about it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So at first, I was going to kill it. I've never had majano nem pests but it kind of resembled one as a baby. It was literally growing on the side of a frag plug. So I went to snuff out its life and then it retracted into a rigid skeleton. I then thought it was some sort of polyp bailout... but regardless, it was a coral and so I put it on its own plug...

Now that its growing, I can see that its a gold torch of some sort. It has a green base, blue tips, and gold in its tentacles. Then I found another... and another... I've lost a few as well from shrooms and other things near them as babies but they keep popping up.

This pic is a few weeks old and its gotten bigger since then. I've never had LPS successfully spawn before in my tanks... and I'm not on any lunar cycle which I always thought was a requirement. In 14 years in the hobby this is my first time seeing this happen in my tanks... and I like it :).

View attachment 18620

Now thats just showing off lol. Put on some Barry White, have them pop out some more babies and you'll be able to retire early

Back