Somekind of starfish??

reefstinger

Market
Reaction score
Friend or Foe?? he just showed up in my 60 gallon anemone tank?? identify please is this star a major pest?? or a Foe

a>

Looks like a micro brittle star to me... Good in my tank...

No, it's not a starfish. It's a gorgeous ophiuroid. Most that end up in our aquaria are scavengers/detritovores.

stacy22;976203 wrote: No, it's not a starfish. It's a gorgeous ophiuroid. Most that end up in our aquaria are scavengers/detritovores.

is it a pest stacy?? would you kill it or put back in your tank

Jerry it may have come from one of my tanks, maybe on the rock the nems were on, I have hundreds in each tank.:D
Brittle Stars are very good cleaners!

Love them!
You probably have more you just never noticed. They hide very well in rock. When you feed watch your rocks and look for the feet floating out trying to catch food.

Raz0945;976263 wrote: Jerry it may have come from one of my tanks, maybe on the rock the nems were on, I have hundreds in each tank.:D
Brittle Stars are very good cleaners!

So no big deal I got extra on the trade!! Good For Me , tell Hal I said Hello hope to see yall soon :yes:

reefstinger;976485 wrote: So no big deal I got extra on the trade!! Good For Me , tell Hal I said Hello hope to see yall soon :yes:

Nope they usually dont harm nothing... They do multiply though. Each arm that breaks off creates a new brittle :)

jrhunter0000;976486 wrote: Nope they usually dont harm nothing... They do multiply though. Each arm that breaks off creates a new brittle :)

This is not true. Lost arms can be regenerated from a central disk as long as there is madreporite tissue present. (Some viscera can also be regenerated). Arms, however, cannot become a new brittlestar. Nonetheless, they are fascinating creatures.

stacy22;976603 wrote: This is not true. Lost arms can be regenerated from a central disk as long as there is madreporite tissue present. (Some viscera can also be regenerated). Arms, however, cannot become a new brittlestar. Nonetheless, they are fascinating creatures.

I was told by lfs thats how they multiply. Learn something new everyday :D

[ QUOTE=Raz0945;976814]I'm happy to give them to people if they come to my house!:D:D[/QUOTE]

How close do you live to Jeff? I may be able to swing by for a few of those stars :)

I live close to Gwinnett Mall (Lawrenceville hwy 29 and Sugarloaf). When will you be going to Jeff's?

Back