Something is eating my Hermit Crabs... who could it be?

elfloyd

Supporting
Reaction score
I noticed today that something is feeding on my hermit crabs. I found four sets of appendages (claws, legs, etc) laying in the sand bed. The soft tissue is gone.

Livestock include: 2 False Perks, Royal Gamma, Watchman Goby, Sixline Wrasse, and a Powder Brown Tang.

Inverts include: Blue leg hermits, red leg hermits, snails, 2 emerald crabs, 4 peppermint shrimp, one banded coral shrimp.

There is plenty of algae to keep the emerald crabs busy. One I can always find living in a rock hole near the top on my tank. I haven't seen the second one since putting him in the tank a week ago. Both have bodies about the size of a nickle.

Not sure but I think the snail and blue leg hermit population is diminishing too... but can't be sure.

So who do you think is eating the hermits?

Are you sure that they're not just the remnants of molts? Mine leave their cast off bodies all over the tank all of the time.

Highly unlikely that any of the fish listed are the culprits.

I would suspect invert on invert invertocide.

They also dig on any other cleaup you may have. Even bristles

It's the cotal banded... they're cool, they're beautiful, they're eating your inhabitants.

I agree.....CBS. I have to feed mine shrimp pellets to keep him from eating everyone else in the tank.

Steve;376402 wrote: The snails are getting revenge!
Revenge of the Snails! Rated PG for slow moving action.

Watch as the snails race around and trap the crab. Watch as they pounce on their arch rival, the crab! Oh the HORROR!!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
376587=18566-Smiling_Gary_The_Snail.jpg
>
376587=18566-Smiling_Gary_The_Snail.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Smiling_Gary_The_Snail.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back