Something is eating one of my corals

nukieuk

Market
Reaction score
Ok,

I have several corals in my biocube one of them has started vanishing over the last three days. Its a I believe an LPS I am enclosing a pic so you can see whats happening any ideas would be much appreciated as I would love to save this coral.

1_coral1.jpg
></a>
1_coral1.jpg
alt="" />

another shot.

I had four stalks one is totally gone and another looks close to dying off.

1_coral3.jpg
alt="" />

Any help would be great

I dont think its any of my livestock, I noticed a tiny starfish the other day that came at some point as a hitcher.

Live stock is:

2 clownfish
1 fire shrimp
4 hermit crabs
3 peppermint shrimps.
4 astrea snails
2 turbo snails.

Corals:

florida ricordia
xenia
assorted mushroom
two zoo colonies.

Everything else is fine I know for a fact the ricordia was upsetting it a week or so ago so I moved the ricordia, this coral has its own spot as was doing fine until 3-4 days ago that when I noticed the shrinkage.

one of the snails or fish might be bumping into it and upsetting it. Thats my best guess.

yea could very well be, i guess i am concerned incase it could be some form of chemical warfare still between it and another coral.

Nukieuk;261518 wrote: yea could very well be, i guess i am concerned incase it could be some form of chemical warfare still between it and another coral.
Well, is there any other coral that is close enough to hurt it? If you moved the ricordia it should be ok now.

define close enough :). There is a mushroom around 6 inches behind it and I am wondering if flow from a pump could be carrying a toxin.

I would start with a 10-20% water change and make sure your water parameters are spot on, just to make sure. Then continue to observe from there....does not look like something is eating it. Also, I know some reefers who do an iodine dip on these corals when they have tissue receeding....

sure

temp 77.8
sg 1.024
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
ph 8.3
phosphate .01
calcium 480
dkh 12

i am working on the phosphates getting those to zero.

You may have hit the nail on the head Barbra, its off to the side but directly in front of one of my nano pumps thats pushing 240 gph. That could be it.

I have had the coral about a month, had an issue a couple of weeks ago with a florida ricordia going to war with it that caused one head to sink back, i moved the ricordia and it was fine until a few days ago.

Barbara;261546 wrote: Yeah, move it out of the flow. LPS inflates by filling the flesh with water, and if it has too much flow it actually tears the flesh. Move it to your sandbed, and into a place where it gets gentle flow.

+1 good catch Barbara.

Is that a Torch coral?
If is is,I have one and can tell you that they don't like alot of flow,they love lots of light,and they love being spot feed with meaty foods.
Mine is completly surounded by mushrooms of all differant kinds,so I'm not sure if your Ric had anything to do with it other than just P---ing it off ?!?
Torches on the other hand have a strong sting.One tenicle touched one of my SPS's and killed the spot it touched,it turned white very quickly!
Hope this helps.

Back