Something munching on my zoas.

jrhunter0000

Market
Reaction score
What ever it is they are only eating the zoas glues to the plug the ones on pieces or live rock are okay the past 2 nights i wake up to one frag plus completely empty. only live stock i have is a lawnmower blenny and a emerlad crab. also have some blue hermits and peppermint shrimp any idea what could be munching my zoas?

Look for Sundial Snails or Nudibranchs.

Do you have larger colonies that have a strip eaten through them, or are closed up?

Could the zoas have fallen off the plug?

Pictures or more info might be helpful.

Jenn

its possible but i doubt they could of falled off. im gonne be on the lookout. its just 2 days in a row a plug was missing its contents.

It's possible the Emerald is snipping them off... are you finding them or are they gone?

JennM;966795 wrote: It's possible the Emerald is snipping them off... are you finding them or are they gone?

they are gone. i did fine a crumble in the sand. i think the emerlads about to go

franciscosalazar;966831 wrote: Put the crab in a breeder net to test your theory.

if i can catch him lol. i caught him hanging from my frag rack couple days ago i think hes eating them or snipping them. i set up a camera on it to see lol.

Found the culprit peppermint shrimp just added a frag of ricordea and looked had 3 peppermint shrimp ate the whole **** frag!!!

Sounds like you have wild peppermint shrimp instead of tank raised

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Dylan J.;966902 wrote: Sounds like you have wild peppermint shrimp instead of tank raised

Respectfully disagree with that statement. I'd say almost all of the L. wurdemanni available in the trade are wild caught.

JennM;967915 wrote: Respectfully disagree with that statement. I'd say almost all of the L. wurdemanni available in the trade are wild caught.

i called my guy i order cuc from he said he gets them from a vendor who does wild catch and supplies almost all of florida so you are correct

I know there are a few people who have had success breeding and rearing them in captivity but to my knowledge there aren't any large-scale aquaculture facilities breeding them. The wild caught ones are so inexpensive, it wouldn't be cost-effective in most instances.

JennM;968042 wrote: I know there are a few people who have had success breeding and rearing them in captivity but to my knowledge there aren't any large-scale aquaculture facilities breeding them. The wild caught ones are so inexpensive, it wouldn't be cost-effective in most instances.

Very hard to breed. mine drop eggs weekly and no survivors.

http://www.amazon.com/Raise-Train-Peppermint-Shrimp-Edition/dp/0966778448">How to Raise & Train Your Peppermint Shrimp, 2nd Edition: April Kirkendoll: 9780966778441: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WHDHs%2BILL.@@AMEPARAM@@51WHDHs%2BILL</a>

It's doable but they aren't just going to survive in a regular reef tank. Like rearing anything else that lays eggs and hatch into larvae, it takes specialized breeding vessels and a lot more work.

Shrimp that hatch in a reef tank are just going to become fish and coral food.

Like many saltwater creatures, they'll breed easily enough - it's rearing the young that's the trick.

Back