Something stupid happened last night

kirru

Market
Reaction score
Well, something crazy stupid and I am highly pissed at myself. I am just releasing steam here so I don't do anything that Ill regret.

Well, we all know it froze last night and well, i had my ro unit outside and I totally forgot about it. So I am pissed so... yea.

Now for a question... cause I am broke most of the time... how bad is the damage? Hoping not to bad but what should I expect? would I need new filters... and lets hope not cause this could make or break me..... a whole new filter.

it is only 3 stages, mechanical(micronfilter)->carbon->RO then it has a ASO on the RO then goes to the storage container which was actually in the garage.

Thanks guys

Maybe there is no damage - thaw it and check if it leaks and TDS out...

It wasn't like it was a hard freeze last night, just dipped below freezing........ There's hope it will work fine

Worst case you might have to replace the membranes. I doubt it corroded/cracked any internal components.

I do hope, I won't be able to check till this afternoon when I get out of school and home. Don't have a TDS meter yet, have one on order from tim at keen so it'll be about a week. ugh, i'm just praying

NotiReef;323596 wrote: Worst case you might have to replace the membranes. I doubt it corroded/cracked any internal components.

I saw another thread but can't find it, but thats all that happened to that persons... now the wait for the day to be over

Like Dakota said....it wasn't a hard freeze last night...Hope for the best....check for leaks and such when you get home from school. Keep us updated.

I am actually in the same boat as you my friend. I have left mine out before during a much colder freeze and it seemed to thaw out fine. I would let it thaw out for a day or two before you try to use it. It should be fine in the end.

Well, i had it running a few days before but cut the supply from the water spout cause it makes a noise when it is not producing water. so it had no pressure that I know of

Ok, so I turned on the water and disconnected the output from the ATO floats and it was cranking out water at a constant rate. like a small stream, same as the dirty output.
also, the pressure on the gauge has increase from 50psi(before the frost) to almos 100psi, I think it was like 90psi to be exact.

from this what are the damages? what needs to be replaced?

I don't have a TDS meter so i cannot measure the difference from the amount of TDS in the water.

let it defrost. you may be fine, there may just be ice blocking a line.

good luck.

Jason

Well, I haven't had it hooked up since this has happened and I recently tested it yesterday... well I am not sure what is wrong... the pressure gauge is messed up and I think maybe the filters are bad now.... i am getting a steady flow from both the clean and dirty water outputs which it was not doing before. I will be borrowing a TDS meter soon to see if the filters are destroyed or whatnot.

Since the ASO valves on the Seachem units are built in to the RO housing, should I expect it to be damaged or is it still good? anything else I should look for?

also NO leaks :)

Back