Something to consider if you’re battling Dino’s...

bigd

Reaction score
Just read this article on Reef Builders, it has some interesting info. Obviously, there’s no guarantees it would work for every situation... but if you happen to fall into the unfortunate situation of battling Dino’s, it would definitely be worth giving this very easy treatment method a shot.

link

D

Thanks for sharing! I was dealing with Dino’s for the last few months until I got an oversized UV sterilizer (I have a 40 gallon cube, the sterilizer is 25 watts) that rise the temperature of the tank to 80-82 degrees. Now I’m wondering if the dinos are mostly gone because of the UV or because of the temperature change?

Last edited:
That's awesome. One of the last questions posed was "What happens if I set my tank back to the original 78°?" and I'm really curious what the answer is. I've always assumed that dinos were in pretty much every system, they just exit at reasonable levels for most of us. I know that thinking applies to cyano in my systems. Skip a few water changes and I'll start seeing little cyano spots.

Thanks for sharing! I was dealing with Dino’s for the last few months until I got an oversized UV sterilizer (I have a 40 gallon cube, the sterilizer is 25 watts) that rise the temperature of the tank to 80-82 degrees. Now I’m wondering if the dinos are mostly gone because of the UV or because of the temperature change?

That’s interesting... I’m assuming you’re still running the UV and the temp is maintaining 80-82?

That's awesome. One of the last questions posed was "What happens if I set my tank back to the original 78°?" and I'm really curious what the answer is. I've always assumed that dinos were in pretty much every system, they just exit at reasonable levels for most of us. I know that thinking applies to cyano in my systems. Skip a few water changes and I'll start seeing little cyano spots.

I've always assumed the same pretty much for an established system. It’s always there, and there‘s triggers that allow it to flourish.

So I’m still battling Dinos. All is well with the world if my nutrients are elevated but as soon as I get them to why is acceptable the dinos make a comeback. I read the article and watched the video (same info). I’m going to try it. I only have 4 fish and about 30 or so frags. I increased my heater by 1 degree which has raised the temperature by 1.6 degrees from 78.6 to 80.2. Will keep it there for 24 hours then bump up another degree of fishes seem ok. Will be thrilled if a change of temperature kills dinos without stressing out anything else.

Hate that you’re still dealing with them! They can drive you crazy quickly. :confused:

Hopefully raising the temp will help! Please keep us informed and let us know if you need any help!

Back