somethings very odd????? help please

oryansreef

Market
Reaction score
i just got home to a tank that looks like I've added purple up its white and a all the brown algae is turning whiteish chalky look to it. i will try to put up some pics if i can.

T6g1j01ddqz4iht82g9j9q3b2zhe9nxmj.jpg
alt="IMG_1804" />

looks like something happened today, what could cause ph to go way up and orp go way down for just a bit?

i run a carbon reactor and changed the media out monday. i don't hand dose cal but use the DOS and if anything it would clog and dose too little

I’ve only personally seen clouds from too much calcium or too much carbon source causing a bacteria bloom

something happened and my apex turned on the alk pump and dumped a bunch of alk what should i do?

How high is it? Might be ok just to wait for it to come down. I've had alk at like 12 and I just let it come down.

Your high ph indicated something like that. Do you have an alarm on your ph getting that high?

Depending on the increase you may want to do a quick water change to bring it down a bit.  If its not a huge increase let it drop naturally.  More than likely you may see a little stning. But, the coral will recover if you can stabilize your system.

What alk level are you running on a normal day?  Your ph seems to be high before the dose.

Not sure on alk level till tonight. I did do a small wc last night. Will test tonight when I get home

Been there and done that...... not fun. Still have a couple of 5 gallon buckets of coral skeletons that I'm too sad to dump. A gallon of Randy's 2 part Alk solution in a 120 is kinda nasty.

Brett is right try multiple small water changes until the Alk is back to normal ranges..... sudden changes are discouraged. Also, try using a turkey baster to keep the precipitate off the corals, maybe even siphoning through a filter sock into the sump. Also, if you have a sand bed make sure it does cement up, if I remember right it's worse in a deeper sand bed. Just clean it like  you usually do. I wish you good luck and keep us posted.

update... sorry have been super busy. not the best time to have this happen lol. i don't know how much alk got dumped but it was 300ml-600ml. i think my alk was a little low to start with so nothing too bad (a huge scare everything has been good for a while prior to).

Glad it all worked out. Most times you cannot go wrong with starting with a good water change. Then try to figure it out.

Back