Sooty sea hare?

Got a picture? Sea hares are popular for eating hair algae, then starve to death when it's gone(unless rehomed), but I never heard "sooty" being used in the name. Maybe different!

Crazy predicament! Son went to Panama City Beach jetties and thought he was being nice by bringing this thing home to me! And is the coolest looking thing!!! Looks like eagle Ray swimming around tank but I'm scared it's going to starve to death!! The technical name is Aplysia Brasiliana a soft body mollusk
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1022244=60319-image.jpg
>
1022244=60319-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Scubatim;1022244 wrote: Crazy predicament! Son went to Panama City Beach jetties and thought he was being nice by bringing this thing home to me! And is the coolest looking thing!!! Looks like eagle Ray swimming around tank but I'm scared it's going to starve to death!! The technical name is Aplysia Brasiliana a soft body mollusk

Freaky looking creature indeed.
I've no idea what it's requirements are but...

You'll want to inform your son (and perhaps delete this post) that collecting and relocating natural marine life and plant life is, in most cases, a violation of the local laws.

Just saying...

I've done it, unknowingly myself.
We collected hermits and never thought anything about it until we learned otherwise.

Florida and alabama only require a fishing license for all fish and inverts.

This does not apply in sanctuary or protected areas.

Ive been to the jetties a lot. Ill have to look around for one of those :)

Please do not post speculation. It does not help, if you dont know for sure just dont say anything.

There are plenty of creatures from the gulf that we regularly put in reef aquariums.

Really, that's a big problem with forums now a days! People want to chime in on stuff they have no clue about and off the subject! We ask questions to better care for a living creature! If you don't have pertinent info on the question asked then keep it to yourself! With a Florida license you can take multiple a day per person. My LFS says they are for sale in the trade but they seem to be found in great abundance at times and impossible to get at other times. They are herbivores and eat multiple types of micro algae, kelp, seaweed ect. Per my LFS they aren't keep that much because they are plain looking, require a large system due to the size they get and the swimming they enjoy. They also ink if scared and can kill smaller fish in your system.

Pretty cool looking. Please, keep us updated how it goes. Always good to lt=earn about different critters and their care.

I've been to the exact place you got this from, every now and then a ton of them will come around and it's pretty cool. I actually got one of my fish from the jetties :)

Another way to take good care of livestock in our aquariums is to research what we want to put in there before we put it in there.

I've been in your shoes before. I've had bought livestock I knew nothing about then tried to care for them.

My worst exp was with a seabae nem.

Bassett22;1022534 wrote: I think a bigger problem is when people are just *******s to strangers who were trying to give an edjucated guess based and limited research. but yea. Sorry I said anything. I wasnt claiming to be the god of salt. No reason to be a pecker.
Come on guys... this is not how we roll. Let's keep it friendly and on topic.

Imo if it can ink, it has the potential to crash a tank.

Bassett22 I was talking about Y-not who instead of giving helpful advice on keeping a living creature alive that is already out of the ocean! Told me to inform my son about the law (whom took it lawfully) and that maybe I should delete my post! But Bassett 22 great job proving my point! If you don't have some pertinent information on trying to save this creatures life please just keep your opinions to yourself!

Scubatim;1022541 wrote: Bassett22 I was talking about Y-not who instead of giving helpful advice on keeping a living creature alive that is already out of the ocean! Told me to inform my son about the law (whom took it lawfully) and that maybe I should delete my post! But Bassett 22 great job proving my point! If you don't have some pertinent information on trying to save this creatures life please just keep your opinions to yourself!

I saw it differently, maybe I'm wrong but I know Andy personally, and I'm sure he's intention was not to come off wrong. With that being said, we've seen it time and time again where as everyone that has a tank and goes to the ocean thinks it's ok to remove life from its natural environment. And granted he likely didn't know about the creature, I'm sure he was telling you what he did know to protect you.

It's all good and I Truly appreciate EVERYONES input because no one can now it all in this hobby! I don't bring things from the ocean but when my 22 year old saw these and asked could they be taken and was told yes then he thought "hay daddy can keep anything alive" and brought it home! If I had known in advance I would have told him no! And I am a person that will do whatever it takes to save an animal. Sorry if any feathers were rustled but I'm here if ya ever need me!

Scubatim;1022550 wrote: It's all good and I Truly appreciate EVERYONES input because no one can now it all in this hobby! I don't bring things from the ocean but when my 22 year old saw these and asked could they be taken and was told yes then he thought "hay daddy can keep anything alive" and brought it home! If I had known in advance I would have told him no! And I am a person that will do whatever it takes to save an animal. Sorry if any feathers were rustled but I'm here if ya ever need me!
No feathers ruffled here... you're good. We are a community striving to do the same thing.... waste our hard earned money on keeping things alive in a glass box ;)

Back