Sort of a DIY kalk reactor...

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
I have an old-style MRC kalk stirrer (with the magnetic stir rod). The motor is toast... but no biggie, the same motor is available for $1.89 plus shipping.

However, it wasn't reliable before that in my experience. The stir rod had a habit of jumping off, making me take it apart and getting it restarted, only to have it do the same thing in a couple of days.

What I would like to do is plumb the cylinder for pipe fittings, and use a recirc pump to basicallly update it to the newer style. The timing of stirring would be handled by my RKE. I could also do this all in the lid, if there is room.

My questions are: Is there anything about running in a kalk environment that would necessitate a specific type of pump (I realize it has to be external), and after drilling and tapping the acrylic for the fittings, what readily available sealant should be used? I realize there is a Weld On for acrylic to PVC, but I've never found it for sale.

Thanks in advance!

cr500_af;620230 wrote:
My questions are: Is there anything about running in a kalk environment that would necessitate a specific type of pump (I realize it has to be external), and after drilling and tapping the acrylic for the fittings, what readily available sealant should be used? I realize there is a Weld On for acrylic to PVC, but I've never found it for sale.

Thanks in advance!

As long as it's a marine pump it should be fine. Marine pumps are designed to be non-reactive, and tolerate a rather harsh environment.

As far as tapping the acrylic, why not just use conventional bulk heads? If you're insistant on using a tapped hole, just use Teflon tap. However, I wouldn't advise it because the odds are your acrylic isn't that thick, and, absent the "weld-on" equivalent, leaks over time are likely to be an issue.

I made one using uniseals and maxijet. Very similar to the DIY sulfur reactor that a bunch of us did some time ago. I'll try to get some pics later.

darcurr;620240 wrote: As long as it's a marine pump it should be fine. Marine pumps are designed to be non-reactive, and tolerate a rather harsh environment.

As far as tapping the acrylic, why not just use conventional bulk heads? If you're insistant on using a tapped hole, just use Teflon tap. However, I wouldn't advise it because the odds are your acrylic isn't that thick, and, absent the "weld-on" equivalent, leaks over time are likely to be an issue.

Because you can't put a bulkhead on the side of a cylinder. I don't intend to build it without a proper solvent weld.

haninja;620245 wrote: I made one using uniseals and maxijet. Very similar to the DIY sulfur reactor that a bunch of us did some time ago. I'll try to get some pics later.

Interested to see it, though I don't think I trust uni-seals all that much. Did you run the MJ inside the reactor?

haninja;620245 wrote: I made one using uniseals and maxijet. Very similar to the DIY sulfur reactor that a bunch of us did some time ago. I'll try to get some pics later.

Isn't there a thread somewhere where a group did a kalk reactor, or is the sulfur reactor what I'm thinking of? I remember seeing pictures of a group (5-6 people) using PVC and a maxijet, although I could be wrong. This was about a year ago.

I don't know why I didn't think of this, but I think a good way to do it would be to add two more (large sized) John Guest fittings to the lid, then plumb with that. 3/8" would probably do what I want to do.

You are right about the uniseal, they are not great especially on thin material. I had to augment them with weldon. The MJ is outside (wouldn't need the uniseal if it was inside).

If you still need it i have a big can of the weld-on for bonding acrylic to pvc. Let me know.

brynbyers;620249 wrote: Isn't there a thread somewhere where a group did a kalk reactor, or is the sulfur reactor what I'm thinking of? I remember seeing pictures of a group (5-6 people) using PVC and a maxijet, although I could be wrong. This was about a year ago.
Yep, sulfur reactor based on
a>plan.

Here is a plan for a build done a while ago by sammy33. I run this and it is reliable. It only mixes what water flows through.

showthread.php

serpent;620264 wrote: Here is a plan for a build done a while ago by sammy33. I run this and it is reliable. It only mixes what water flows through.

http://atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1989&highlight=kalk+reactor">http://atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1989&highlight=kalk+reactor</a>[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Got my shopping list for tonight!

Chris S;620253 wrote: If you still need it i have a big can of the weld-on for bonding acrylic to pvc. Let me know.

If I brought it by when it is time to glue, would you be willing to trade a dab or two for a frag of your choice from my tank?

cr500_af;620341 wrote: If I brought it by when it is time to glue, would you be willing to trade a dab or two for a frag of your choice from my tank?

I'd never say no to a frag. I'll even come to you. Always nice to see other members tanks. Just let me know when.

Back