Spa flex = Flexible PVC?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
Is Spa flex and flexible PVC the same thing? I'm planning on using it for my two 1" overflows from the 120G to the basement sump. Also I'm going to use either .75" spa flex or black vinyl tubing for the return. Anyone used either or have an opinion one way or the other?

I believe so. Spa Flex I think is a name brand version of flexible PVC.

Cameron;126094 wrote: I believe so. Spa Flex I think is a name brand version of flexible PVC.

Thanks, Cameron. Any thoughts on the return black vinyl vs spa flex?

I wanted to use this to simplify my install of a new 90gal system. I like it alot and it was easier than hardline. Plus I wouldn't lose as much pressure from my return pump going through as many elbows and fittings. But watch out! I had to order mine from Savko, due to its unavailability in the area. Not a bad price though and it will arrive in two day shipping time. You can order spa flex in colors as well, although I don't believe that Savko carries anything but white. Flex-pvc.com does though as someone on here pointed out to me. I had just posted a thread a few days ago on the availability of this product. The only reason I don't care for vinyl is that it can kink and restrict flow. Hope this helps!

reefknight;126198 wrote: I wanted to use this to simplify my install of a new 90gal system. I like it alot and it was easier than hardline. Plus I wouldn't lose as much pressure from my return pump going through as many elbows and fittings. But watch out! I had to order mine from Savko, due to its unavailability in the area. Not a bad price though and it will arrive in two day shipping time. You can order spa flex in colors as well, although I don't believe that Savko carries anything but white. Flex-pvc.com does though as someone on here pointed out to me. I had just posted a thread a few days ago on the availability of this product. The only reason I don't care for vinyl is that it can kink and restrict flow. Hope this helps!

It does, thanks! Did you glue it with PVC purple primer and regular pvc glue or something else?

Dont need the purple primer but you could use it if you want Wouldnt hurt. Just regular pvc solvent is fine. My opinion on the black vs. the white would be use whatever is cheaper. They both block light and will keep algae down so that will not be an issue. If you want the black for appearance reasons then what the hell go for it! You only have to plumb once so get what you want.

I haven't plumbed mine as of yet (Sunday's the day!), but I plan on just using the cement. I have never used the purple primer, I usually use the cleaner and then apply the cement.

As far as color I agree with the above post; if you want to do it all in sch. 80 and use black go for it! I had already bought sch. 40 fittings and valves, so I just stayed with white. There is something rather, "sexy" about a tank plumbed in black/ gray though. ; )

Nah, I don't really care about the color, it was just that if I use vinyl I'd use black rather than the clear to help hold down any algae growth, but if I go with spa flex then color doesn't matter. I think I'm going to order spa flex from savko for both the return and the overflow. Thanks for all the inputs!

If you plan on gluing it use spa flex. If you are using barbed connectors, vinyl. Opinion only.

Back