Spaflex tubing and valves.

jc_k

Market
Reaction score
Well I got my new tank set up and it came with spaflex tubing. Well the return pump is to strong and I need to add a valve to the spaflex to slow the flow. Is this possible? If it's is how would I install it?

Thanks, Jacob

Just get a gate valve or ball valve the same size as your spa flex. I would recommend one that has unions on both sides. The cut your spa flex and insert the valve where you cut it. You will probably have to glue the spa flex in since that run will be under pressure.

What kind of glue do I use? Would it have to be PVC sement?

I use
a>

It doesn't look very... Safe.

It's not that bad, most plumbers use this for joining PVC in the houses nowdays. You can find it in the plumbing section of Home Depot/Lowes. Just cut the SpaFlex ( which is made out of PVC) and dab the glue on both fittings and push together and hold for 30 secs, it may take a few hours to dry to full hardness. When you first hook it up look for any leaks. Word of caution, do this outside if possible- it stinks and I'm sure you don't want the Mom ( wife or whatever) upset! Some people choose to use the purple primer ( cleans the PVC first) I've done it both ways and no leaks on either (knock on wood). Do a google search foe a PVC gluing tutorial.

oh and Good luck.

I've glued PVC I just didn't know if it's the same. Because spaflex is a lot more flexible. Thanks for the info. And which valve is better, the gate or ball?

Yeah, gluing SpaFlex is exactly like gluing regular PVC.

On the valve, personal choice

Ball Valve- cheaper and easier to find however, much harder to turn ( might become an issue and under the stand)

Gate Valve- maybe twice the cost, have to call around and hit a specialty store ( maybe a LFS or Grainger/ McMaster-Carr) however a lot easier to control and fine tune.

Back