Spawning Report - Pterapogon kauderni (Bangaii Cardinalfish)

bobz

Supporting
Reaction score
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Spawning Records </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Bangaii Cardinalfish) pair #1</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Date: 5/10/2012</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Link to Detail report/urls: Video documentation coming</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Brood stock: Both female and male from tank raised pair raised from my own brood stock. Female was from 3/10/09 batch and male was from the 4/27/2009 batch. </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Tank Parameters</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Capacity: 30G / 36&#8221;X18&#8221;X13&#8221;</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Description: Mixed species reef tank (Ocellaris Clownfish, Chromis, Scoter Blenny, shrimp and crabs)</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Temp : 79-81F</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">pH: 8.0</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Salinity: 1.024</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Lighting: T5 12H Day cycle, 12H Moon Lighting</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Filtration: Sump w/Skimmer</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">For clowns only &#8211; anemone? No</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Egg placement : N/A </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Spawning description: First spawning and egg holding began in June 2010. This pair has been together from beginning. Male continues to hold and is currently about 15 days in to this last spawn. The male has a history of not going full term. Probably due to the fact that he is not conditioned prior to spawning and not separated from female after spawn occurs and eggs are held. </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Link to Detail report/urls: Video documentation of male holding </span></span>
<div class="gc_ifarem_title">Male bangaii cardinal holding eggs - YouTube</div><iframe style="width: 70%; height: 400px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BLAHB_rZ8TA"></iframe>

Thanks Jaycen. This pair is offspring from a previous pair that produced 137 tank raised Bangaii Cardinals. All of which were placed in ARC members tanks! Hopefully some of them are still around and doing well! Maybe even producing more offspring.
I am just getting restarted and hope that by the end of the year I'll be able to devore enough time to raising these and some other species.
bob

Bob, I would love to come see your setup one day, I find this fascinating! Especially after last Tuesday's meeting.

I have a pair of Bangaiis in my 300. I didn't know they were spawning until I found a couple little ones in my overflow.

Acroholic;765567 wrote: I have a pair of Bangaiis in my 300. I didn't know they were spawning until I found a couple little ones in my overflow.

Sweeet! That's usually what happens to most reefers. That was got me hooked on breeding when my bangaiis released for the first time. I remember I only got one from the first batch to make it but that was enough.
BZ

Edit:
Jaycen B.;765557 wrote: Bob, I would love to come see your setup one day, I find this fascinating! Especially after last Tuesday's meeting.

You can come by but I no longer have my breeding system running. Had to take it down when i started traveling again for work three years ago. Now all my breeders are in the reefs tanks. I am hoping to land a new job at IBM at the end of the year that will allow me to work from home again. That would be sweet! I can start things back up.

BZ

Back