Species Wars......

jade76

Market
Reaction score
does anyone have any thoughts to this FRUSTRATING situation?

On sunday, I purchesed a beautiful bubble nem for my 90. That day I also purchased a small fire fish. Well, on sunday night was the last night Ive seen the firefish, but I just figured he's hiding. This tues night I get home from school and now my 5" lunar wrasse (and really fat) is missing.
During this whole period, the new nem has been kinda unhappy where Ive been putting him and has taken to wonderin. Right now its wedged in the middle of my rockwork with no acess to light for itself (isnt self preservation natural?) Its as if its hunting in my tank.
This nem is only mmmmm...4" across.
A.) Is this typical nem behavior?
B.) Could something this small really have snagged a wrasse so big and fast?

Advice or thoughts please.......

it doesnt matter how fast it is, if it touches it, its already got it.. there are hundreds of videos of damsels being snagged

i dont think your nem is eating your fish they dont have that bad of a sting to kill your fish give your nem time they take a while to adjust ......also your fish are probably just all scared cause of the new addition

A fish brushing by an anemone is not going to kill it, the only one that could probably do that would be a carpet, but most fish stay away from those.

BTA's are weak. It's not killing your fish, especially not a lunare; they're tough!

Nems wander until they find a spot they like. They'll end up somewhere that's good for them, but usually not good for us (can't see it well or right next to a coral). I would let it wander or help it find a spot that it'll like (nice flow, but not a hard, direct flow and some place to mount it's foot.)

oh, and the lunare may just be in the sand...I had a christmas wrasse that emerged after a week!

Nope it was definitely not mine. Maybe your mother Raj....

jn27in.jpg
alt="" />

As people have said, BTA's have really weak stings. The BTA is undoubtedly hunting... but simply for a perfect lil spot to make its home.

The firefish and wrasse may have jumped... both are known jumpers. The wrasse may simply be hiding though. When stressed out they sometimes take a few days off and sleep it away.

wow......my wrasse pops up out of now where tonite. Thats the first time Ive every encountered that but nonetheless very weird.

You have any clowns? Toss a pair in there that is known to host nems...chances are it'll stay still then.

Ive got a pair of black and whites that are hosting a gonoporia, so far they havent or wont go near the nem.

Back