Spectrapure RO/DI unit

ddaddy2420

Market
Reaction score
Ok so i finally got this in and have been thinking about how I should set this up. How do most of you out there have your system set up? Pics would be great!!! Do you have any sort of automatic top off system installed with it? I was under the impression it was a no no to install this directly to your sump with an ATO. However, i was thinking of having a 5 gallon bucket with a lid sitting next to my stand with a small dosing pump sitting in it. I could then install a system that would turn on the dosing pump once it saw the level in my sump drop below a certain point. One problem is how do i install such a level switch with my sump already in service. I can't really drill a hole with water in the sump can i? Is there some sort of float device that can be installed and mounted to the top of my sump that will do what i need?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dale

What's up, Man? I have the same RO/DI unit. Though, I don't have an ATO, or anything like that hooked up, you can get a rough idea of how I set it up. Basically, just a splitter coming from the cold inlet of my washer supply going to the unit. From there, the waste line goes down the drain for the washer and the clean water goes into the container for mixing...

I'll take better pictures if you would like tonight, though it sounds like you have bigger plans that I did...

One word of advice. With this unit, you can have a float valve cut off the clean water from continuing and overflowing your sump, but, it will still be running and producing waste water. The only true way I've seen to cut off this unit is to turn off the supply water...

Best of luck!!!

CedzAquAddiction;826967 wrote: What's up, Man? I have the same RO/DI unit. Though, I don't have an ATO, or anything like that hooked up, you can get a rough idea of how I set it up. Basically, just a splitter coming from the cold inlet of my washer supply going to the unit. From there, the waste line goes down the drain for the washer and the clean water goes into the container for mixing...

I'll take better pictures if you would like tonight, though it sounds like you have bigger plans that I did...

One word of advice. With this unit, you can have a float valve cut off the clean water from continuing and overflowing your sump, but, it will still be running and producing waste water. The only true way I've seen to cut off this unit is to turn off the supply water...

Best of luck!!!

Hey man,
This is funny cuz before i even read this post, i went ahead and installed my ro/di unit. I installed a splitter on my washing machine cold water line - fed that to my ro/di unit hung on the wall between the washing machine and dryer and put the waste down the washing machine drain that goes outside. Oh and I also installed a 13 gallon trash can with a mechanical float like you mentioned. The only reason I did this was to have as a back up in case I forget to turn the water off while i am making some up. Which incidentally happened the very first time i was making water. Now i need a way to automate feeding from this water holding tank to a saltwater make down tank and also to tie in to be my evaporative top off water from this holding tank. I bought one of those 32 gallon brute trash cans but the dang thing was too small to fit between my washer and dryer, bummer there.

This was a pretty easy install with the hardest part being setting the correct waste water to product water ratio. Here are a couple of pics of the set up. One great thing about this is this is allowing me to set up a 20 gallon QT tank right next to my main DT because of all the extra water i got now.

Edit: One thing to note, I also installed a manual flush kit on top of the RO membrane that was recommended by others to help increase the life of your membrane. Was only like $7 for it and was very easy, you can barely make it out on top of the unit in the fuzzy pics.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
827302=42093-IMG_1944.jpg
>
827302=42093-IMG_1944.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1944.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
827302=42096-IMG_1946.jpg
>
827302=42096-IMG_1946.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1946.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
827302=42095-IMG_1948.jpg
>
827302=42095-IMG_1948.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1948.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
827302=42094-IMG_1949.jpg
>
827302=42094-IMG_1949.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1949.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
827302=42092-IMG_1950.jpg
>
827302=42092-IMG_1950.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1950.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

It is, however this is a temporary set up. My plan is move this whole operation into my basement and use 2 brute containers. 1 for holding ro/di water, and 1 for mixing saltwater. Going to install a pump connected to the ro/di container that will pump to my top off container. At least that is what I was thinking anyways.

What would be the issue if it wasn't food grade? The water doesn't stay in it for very long. Just curious.

Dale

Nice setup. I got mine through air water and ice and used the arc discount code. Gave the typhoon 2 I believe. Fill up a brute barrel but its all set up in the garage. Not sure what il do when I move back to the appt tho

Back