Sponge QA

cameron

Market
Reaction score
OK I know I could spend a couple hour wading through post after post on the subject, but I am looking for the quick answers on this one.

What kind of colorful sponges are out there and what are their care level? Do all sponges consume silicates? Assuming you can't expose them to air, is it possible to dip them? For that matter, how do you get them in the tank without exposing your tank to someone elses water?

Feel free to fill me in with any other relevant info. Thanks, Cameron.

thanks cameron i was about to post the same thing, all i know is some sponges release toxins much like leathers. as far as diet i know phyto needs to be dosed.

Cam,

I have a red tree sponge which is a really bright orange more so than it is a red....I love it and it adds a real nice color to my tank.

As for their care level....I haven't done anything at all for mine and it has been doing great. As for the silicates, I've never tested for that but the sponge has had no effect on my reef at all. Of course, I only have one.

As for transferring the sponge into the tank, to an extent some one else's water will definitely hit your tank. What I did to minimize the amount of the stranger water was ask the store where I got my sponge for a lot of extra water (enough to cover the sponge in a 5 gallon bucket). I then used about 5 gallons or so from my tank to acclimate the sponge in the store water 5 gallon bucket.....for every cup of my water that I put in I took a cup of the store water out. I did that until I guesstimated that I had removed most of the store water and over the course of an hour. I am sure some of that store water hit my tank but I do think that it was as little as possible.

The only thing I have noticed about the sponge is that my blue legs love to pick at it. But it seems to heal real quick.

gluck.

Not all sponges are silica based. There is a blue sponge that is photosynthetic and calcareous. Has about the same light requirements as sps.

I have had varients of the white and black finger sponges. On many occasions I have exposed them to air and they have recovered fine. I dose phyto which makes them grow like weeds. As far as toxins or silicates, I have never had any indication that they give off toxin and I don't really know much about silicate usage. (can you test for silicates?)

I think the exposed to air thing is a bit overplayed. I think tansferring from the acclimation vessel to the tank and its 0.5 seconds of air exposure will not do anything. Just dont pull them out and leave them on the table. Essentially, dont let the water darin out of them. Otherwise, you'll be fine.

Mine is not colorful, but it's interesting for a hitchhiker. It's white but grows like a branching coral. I think now it's about 8" tall and has a lot of branches.

I'd love to get more of them...different types. And yes, some color.

Cameron, have you found a good source?

He's isolated in the back so I'm not worried. I'm going to relocate it to my fuge when I get it setup.

Ohhh, so that's what they meant by Dawgdude has half a brain!:tongue2:

Looks like I am going to hunt down a cool sponge. What are the prettiest that can actually be purchased from a store without having to wait for months?

Back