Sponsors!! Look for ORA Madarins!

tqpolo

Market
Reaction score
Sponsors: Please check on pricing and availability of getting these.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/03/24/captive-bred-mandarin-gobies-synchiropus-commercially-ora/">http://reefbuilders.com/2010/03/24/captive-bred-mandarin-gobies-synchiropus-commercially-ora/</a>

[B]ORA Announces Captive Bred Mandarins[/B]

"For many years marine aquarium hobbyists have been captivated by the exquisite beauty of Mandarin Gobies (actually Dragonettes). Their popularity, however, is tempered by the fact that they are difficult to feed in captivity and are subject to questionable collection practices in the wild. Unfortunately, most Mandarins succumb to starvation in home aquariums, even with the best intentions and attempts at feeding. Thankfully, all of that is about to change.
ORA biologists have succeeded in developing the methods needed to breed and raise commercial numbers of the two species of Mandarins, the Blue Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus) and the Spotted Mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus). Building on the early success of breeders such as Julian Sprung, Wolfgang Mai, and more recently Matt Wittenrich, ORA is now poised to have commercially bred Mandarins available to everyone. The significance of this cannot be understated as it is a major advance in marine aquaculture and solves many of the problems associated with keeping these species.

Just as the first captive bred Seahorses were trained to eat frozen foods, ORA has already trained our baby Mandarins to eat commercially available frozen diets. This fact alone makes them easy to feed and care for, and the average aquarist will delight in not having to worry about sources of live food for their finicky eaters. Our goal is to have them soon weaned onto a pellet diet. We expect to have these fish eating pelletized foods before being released for sale.

ORA is the leader in bringing the marine aquarium industry new and exciting aquacultured species. With the addition of Mandarins to our ever-growing list, a major milestone in aquaculture has been achieved. We are sure that our retail customers and hobbyists alike will be elated that captive raised Mandarins are finally available and that a page has been turned in the tragic history of this beloved aquarium fish.

We expect to have significant numbers of Spotted Mandarins available this summer. Blue and Red Mandarins will be available in more limited quantities around the same time. "

has there been any suggested sale price for these yet because I am sure they are going to be in high demand and in this hobby that means some serious cash

There's nothing on their current list (received yesterday) but I'll be keeping my eye out for them!

Jenn

All the articles that I read said they wouldn't be hitting the market till summer.

I saw them at the global show in Orlando this weekend, they were about 1.5". I talked the breeder, they are not going to sell them until they are 2.5" which means this summer, I tried to buy a dozen and they would not sell them to me. They are going to be pricey for sure, in the $75 range for retail, but they eat frozen food so may be worth it. They seem to have a good production going and the price will drop after the first few months. Ken

fishfarm;489404 wrote: I saw them at the global show in Orlando this weekend, they were about 1.5". I talked the breeder, they are not going to sell them until they are 2.5" which means this summer, I tried to buy a dozen and they would not sell them to me. They are going to be pricey for sure, in the $75 range for retail, but they eat frozen food so may be worth it. They seem to have a good production going and the price will drop after the first few months. Ken
I need to get more in touch about the local happenings. I would have loved to have gone to that and it's only 4hrs of slow driving away

Global Show is only for pet industry members. I usually go but I didn't this year - but it's not open to the general public.

Fishfarm must be in the trade.

Jenn

I'd certainly buy one. Being that I only buy captive bred, this would be a great addition! I think I'd be willing to pay the price for that much captive bred color.

But so far I only heard about spotted ones? Anyone know of them trying for the other type?

I thought they had 3 mandarins... spotted, red and blue... atleast I think that's what the article said that i posted a few days back

Smoothie;489410 wrote: I need to get more in touch about the local happenings. I would have loved to have gone to that and it's only 4hrs of slow driving away

+1!! Small price to pay compared what it probably cost to raise them! I would be all over that as well.. need to pair up my male Spotted!

BZ

Dakota9;489454 wrote: I'd certainly buy one. Being that I only buy captive bred, this would be a great addition! I think I'd be willing to pay the price for that much captive bred color.

Meant to +1 on this one! opps!

Can't wait, that fish is one that got me into the hobby (however I have never purchased one b/c of their needs) so this will be great!

I'll pay that price easily just knowing that they'll have a normal type of diet. So ya, I'm down for one myself!!

Back