spotted cardinals

kevinbeth

Market
Reaction score
I have been wanting a schooling fish and was wondering about the spotted cardinals.Does anyone have them or have you had any experience with them?

I have them and they do school. They are not the most active fish though; they prinarily float in one area.

Lyretail anthias are on sale at live aquaria. They school. I believe they have green chromis on sale as well and they school too.

<-----------Ordering a school of orange lyretails.

Dollar for dollar I'm not sure I can think of a prettier fish.

I have a pair of Kaudern's Cardinals (aka Banggai Cardinals). They do stay together in the tank, but mostly they hover and drift. In my opinion, a school of these in the tank hovering in their own area makes a nice contrast to the active fish in the tank. It's nice to have fish with different swimming styles and behaviors to add interest.

<p style="text-align:center;">
banggai-cardinal-fish.jpg
alt="" />

If you do decide on these fish, please either buy them from a fellow reefer or get them from a source that will verify the fish are tank bred/raised rather than wild caught as these fish are http://www.fishlore.com/profile-banggaicardinalfish.htm">close to being placed on the endangered list</a> (if they haven't been already).

Live Aquaria has them, but even though I'm putting together a group order, I wouldn't encourage that you buy them from LA since they don't specify tank raised.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

I had wanted to go with the anthias but it said that minimum size is 120gal.
I only have a 90.

Skriz;153871 wrote: I have them and they do school. They are not the most active fish though; they prinarily float in one area.

I would agree with this one. Mine mainly stays stationary but when it needs too is one of the fastest fish in my tank.

Linda Lee;153906 wrote:
<p style="text-align:center;">
banggai-cardinal-fish.jpg
alt="" />

If you do decide on these fish, please either buy them from a fellow reefer or get them from a source that will verify the fish are tank bred/raised rather than wild caught as these fish are http://www.fishlore.com/profile-banggaicardinalfish.htm">close to being placed on the endangered list</a> (if they haven't been already).

[/QUOTE]

Also, be careful when buying these fish because some stores have been found to be simply selling them under a different name or alias because they are probably going to be put on the endangered list.

Back