Spraypaint frag plugs/discs?

cbj25isback

Market
Reaction score
I know Krylon Fusion II is reef safe, has anyone spray-painted their frag plugs or discs to either help match the color of their rock or go black and put them on a black frag rack?

I don’t see a benefit as they will get covered with coraline along with the rock work, not to mention get encrusted by the corals.

I agree. Also, aren't a lot of plugs made from aragonite? Wouldn't coating that reduce the corals ability to access that calcium?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you want black plugs... which I do agree look better you can get black ceramic plugs or black acrylic plugs commercially. I've not considered krylon which is reef safe once dried. It might be interesting.

As for the other two types that are already available... the black acrylic plugs looked great but the stems are impossible to cut without a dremel or other saw and they are very lightweight so they get dislodged easier. The black ceramic ones are ok but they are more of a dark grey and a matte finish. Also I'm not a fan of ceramic plugs/disks in general due to their propensity to splinter or shatter in unintended ways when I'm cutting them. You can mitigate that a bit by scoring it first but its still a crap shoot.

If you end up using some krylon on them please post some pics and feedback for us :)

I’ll try it out with a few. If that amount of aragonite missing from the tank is going to be reducing the access to calcium I think the tank is having more significant problems.

personally I wouldn't do it.. but that's just me.
if you want black plugs there are plenty of them available.

Back