SPS Bright Green spots AGAIN

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
OK, this is the 2nd time I've had this happen. It has been in completely different tanks and with different equipment each time.

Some of you may remember that a while ago I posted some pics of an orange cap that had "gotten lost" in the rockwork for an extended period of time. When I finally found the coral it displayed green polyps on the original orange tissue (not bleached areas, but BRIGHT GREEN spots). As the coral grew these spots would show up randomly and stay there.. effectively I had an orange cap with green blotches and green polyps (again NOT bleached areas).

Well this morning I found a rose milipora that I had "lost". Because it had been in a darker area some of the coral had perished, but the other half HAS BRIGHT GREEN polyps on it, and appears healthy. It is also worth noting that it was propped against a standard colored scroll coral.

What's going on ?

I'll get some pics later.

I had this happen with a rose millie, the polyps in less well lit areas have turned super bright green, really noticeable under actinic light.

I DO know that (and it was an article a long while ago in CORAL magazine) green tissue synthesizes light of a different wavelength...

Are the corals adapting to make the most of their situation?

Edit: the thing is... if it is like the cap, it won't go back to red if placed in an appropriate place... and even at that (if the same thing happens) it will randomly grow green areas as the coral grows (in light or dimmer areas).

Very strange, I have not tried to move the millie so i cannot speak to the consistent growth of new green polyps.

I'd love to see some pictures.

My guess would be that you are spot on about changing colors to adapt to the different wavelengths of light in the lower light areas so that photosynthesis is more efficient. I don't think it is a far stretch at all. How many times have each of us seen a coral in a tank with different lighting than ours and the coral changes it's colors in our tank.

It is very interesting that your cap didn't change back when you moved it. Maybe the green polyps are still getting enough energy after being moved and have no reason to change back?

the thing with the cap was this...

with new growth there would be green tissue and polyps.. AFTER it was moved back

Back